Wild animals shouldn’t be caged

Anyone who has visited SeaWorld in Orlando has seen the famous killer whale routine. You will “oh and ah” as you witness an animal more than 12,000 pounds flip out of water, swim in majestic ways, and hoist trainers up on his beak. It is easy to forget in this moment that these creatures are kept in unnatural environments.

There is one orca in particular that is causing quite a stir in the news. Tilikum is about to make his first appearance in over a year at a SeaWorld Believe show. He has been off display since he dragged his trainer down by her hair and drowned her during a performance in February of 2010. This isn’t the first freak kill. Two more incidents, one in 1991 and one in 1999, have left two other people dead.

These deaths remind us that orcas, such as Tilikum, are still animals. They are used to swimming 100 miles a day in the wild, not swimming circles in artificially enhanced water. There are questions of whether it is ethical for the animals to live this life and whether the human risk is worth the profit.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been to SeaWorld and I’ve witnessed the magic. It is beautiful to watch these gigantic creatures do such amazing things. However, human lives have been lost, and these are animals after all. They should not be treated as play things for human entertainment. The time to consider releasing them for thier own sake is now.

Unfortunately, Tilikum would not be able to survive in the wild, along with many other SeaWorld animals. We could address this problem by stopping the production of such shows and releasing the captive animals into a seaside sanctuary. It would serve as a middle ground between one large tank and complete freedom. What it boils down to is: How many people will lose their life before we deem killer whales as unpredictable?

Natasha Tomchin is a freshman majoring in history and public relations. She may be contacted at ntomchin@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Natasha Tomchin Staff EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Wild animals shouldn’t be caged”

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...