Wild animals shouldn’t be caged

Anyone who has visited SeaWorld in Orlando has seen the famous killer whale routine. You will “oh and ah” as you witness an animal more than 12,000 pounds flip out of water, swim in majestic ways, and hoist trainers up on his beak. It is easy to forget in this moment that these creatures are kept in unnatural environments.

There is one orca in particular that is causing quite a stir in the news. Tilikum is about to make his first appearance in over a year at a SeaWorld Believe show. He has been off display since he dragged his trainer down by her hair and drowned her during a performance in February of 2010. This isn’t the first freak kill. Two more incidents, one in 1991 and one in 1999, have left two other people dead.

These deaths remind us that orcas, such as Tilikum, are still animals. They are used to swimming 100 miles a day in the wild, not swimming circles in artificially enhanced water. There are questions of whether it is ethical for the animals to live this life and whether the human risk is worth the profit.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been to SeaWorld and I’ve witnessed the magic. It is beautiful to watch these gigantic creatures do such amazing things. However, human lives have been lost, and these are animals after all. They should not be treated as play things for human entertainment. The time to consider releasing them for thier own sake is now.

Unfortunately, Tilikum would not be able to survive in the wild, along with many other SeaWorld animals. We could address this problem by stopping the production of such shows and releasing the captive animals into a seaside sanctuary. It would serve as a middle ground between one large tank and complete freedom. What it boils down to is: How many people will lose their life before we deem killer whales as unpredictable?

Natasha Tomchin is a freshman majoring in history and public relations. She may be contacted at ntomchin@themiamihurricane.com.

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Wild animals shouldn’t be caged”

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...