Roar-worthy styles: rule the jungle with these four spring trends

Sophomore Amanda Adams poses, showing off her lace outfit. Marlena Skrobe//Co-Photo Editor

The phrase “in like a lion, out like a lamb” is often used to describe spring, but reverse that notion and end the semester with some “roar-worthy” styles. While some of these trends have already been spotted on campus, others have yet to be sported. Read on for some of April’s hottest looks because there are just a few weeks left in the semester to prep it up, add a little lace, crop that top and jump into a OnePiece.

Put some prep in your step…

From Tommy Hilfiger’s new Prep World collection to the recent release of the “Official Preppy Handbook” sequel, prep is definitely in this spring. Snap up ribbon belts, crisp chinos, sherbet shades of pink and orange, and classic polo shirts. Want to “out-prep” your WASP-worthy friends? Head to the bookstore for a Canes-inspired Vineyard Vines tote bag and have it monogrammed. Better yet, check out Kappa Kappa Gamma’s Lilly Pulitzer trunk show on April 11 and snatch up coveted prep essentials like Lilly day planners and strapless sundresses.

Lace it up…

A nod to ‘70s bohemian style, lace is especially popular in loose-fitting tops and dresses. It’s ladylike, but with sex appeal. To get in on this trend, check out brands like Free People, Lucky Brand Jeans or BCBGMAXAZRIA. But be careful, too much lace and you might end up looking like your grandmother’s tablecloth; moderation is key.

Crop that top…

At Ultra Music Festival 2011, shirt hemlines soared, with concert-goers sporting a plethora of crop top styles (although some just weren’t even wearing shirts at all- oh the horror). But surprisingly, they had the right idea. Neon colors aside, crop tops are very popular this spring. What could be sexier than a breezy crop top skimming (a.k.a. showing off) your waistline while you’re out for a night of debauchery in the Grove?

“OnePiece” that you need asap…

Remember those awesome childhood footie pajamas? Well, they’re back with a college spin. Part sweatpants, part zip-up hoodie, this one-piece sweatsuit is all the rage with celebrities like Lady Gaga, Jude Law and Katy Perry. Skeptical? Think about it: total comfort and style that you could even wear to the library to study. Watch out Snuggie, OnePiece is giving you a run for your money.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer