Alumni, senior win top prize

Photography, art and fashion are colliding thanks to a new company called Chiral, which designs bathing suits.
The apparel and design company took home the $10,000 grand prize at the UM School of Business’ 2011 Business Plan Competition last Friday.
Chiral was created by alumni Jay Hirschfeld and senior Trevor Cowan, with some help from alumnus David Learner.
“The biggest part of winning was not even the monetary prize, but the validation that everything we’ve been working so hard to achieve has been worth it,” said Hirschfeld, Chiral CEO  and School of Communication graduate.
The idea for Chiral started in March 2010 when Hirschfeld began turning extremely high-resolution photographs of street art into clothing.
The high resolution of Chiral’s work allows Hirschfeld to zoom in on the intricate details of the art.
Chiral’s first line consists of swimsuits adorned with detailed street art. The team hopes to eventually expand into other areas.
“Our Chiral brand is constantly seeking innovative ways to capture the world in as much detail as possible,” Hirschfeld said. “We are devoted to the integration of highly interactive imaging technology into our consumers’ daily lives.”
Winning the competition provided the trio with a much-needed boost.
“It was the most insane feeling I think I’ve ever had,” Hirschfeld said. “When we came out on top I realized, ‘Wow we really have something here.’”
Now Chiral is working with The Launch Pad to create a viral buzz around the developing business. This will include building a Web site, lining up meetings and plans to exhibit their pieces at the 2012 Swim Show in Miami.
“Our customers will identify with the Chiral brand in a way they have never been able to before, free to explore, interact and engage with images, media and online commerce in a way that has only just recently become possible,” Hirschfeld said.

Miranda Coleman may be contacted at mcoleman@themiamihurricane.com.

Miranda Coleman

Contributing news writer

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...