Suspicious package found at UV parking lot

Around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, students, faculty and staff received notice from UMPD that a suspicious package was found at the University Village Scodella Parking Garage.

The area was immediately evacuated and Scodella Avenue and Village Drive were closed off with police tape. Those who received UMPD’s e-mail, text message and phone call were advised to avoid the area until further notice.

After about 30 minutes, UMPD released another notice stating that the package and the area had be cleared and the university could return to normal operations.

Karla Hernandez, director of UM media relations, and Margot Winick, the assistant vice president for media relations, have both confirmed that the package was a student’s engineering project.

The Miami Hurricane will provide updates as more information is released from UMPD and media relations.

Alexa Lopez may be contacted at alopez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...