Suspicious package found at UV parking lot

Around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, students, faculty and staff received notice from UMPD that a suspicious package was found at the University Village Scodella Parking Garage.

The area was immediately evacuated and Scodella Avenue and Village Drive were closed off with police tape. Those who received UMPD’s e-mail, text message and phone call were advised to avoid the area until further notice.

After about 30 minutes, UMPD released another notice stating that the package and the area had be cleared and the university could return to normal operations.

Karla Hernandez, director of UM media relations, and Margot Winick, the assistant vice president for media relations, have both confirmed that the package was a student’s engineering project.

The Miami Hurricane will provide updates as more information is released from UMPD and media relations.

Alexa Lopez may be contacted at alopez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...