Suspicious package found at UV parking lot

Around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, students, faculty and staff received notice from UMPD that a suspicious package was found at the University Village Scodella Parking Garage.

The area was immediately evacuated and Scodella Avenue and Village Drive were closed off with police tape. Those who received UMPD’s e-mail, text message and phone call were advised to avoid the area until further notice.

After about 30 minutes, UMPD released another notice stating that the package and the area had be cleared and the university could return to normal operations.

Karla Hernandez, director of UM media relations, and Margot Winick, the assistant vice president for media relations, have both confirmed that the package was a student’s engineering project.

The Miami Hurricane will provide updates as more information is released from UMPD and media relations.

Alexa Lopez may be contacted at alopez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...