Suspicious package found at UV parking lot

Around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, students, faculty and staff received notice from UMPD that a suspicious package was found at the University Village Scodella Parking Garage.

The area was immediately evacuated and Scodella Avenue and Village Drive were closed off with police tape. Those who received UMPD’s e-mail, text message and phone call were advised to avoid the area until further notice.

After about 30 minutes, UMPD released another notice stating that the package and the area had be cleared and the university could return to normal operations.

Karla Hernandez, director of UM media relations, and Margot Winick, the assistant vice president for media relations, have both confirmed that the package was a student’s engineering project.

The Miami Hurricane will provide updates as more information is released from UMPD and media relations.

Alexa Lopez may be contacted at alopez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...