Trust White House in Libyan intervention

Most of us are aware that things have not been so peachy in Libya recently. Last Monday, our president laid a case, albeit a brief one, for American action in this nation.
There is a terrible and frightening regime in Libya. The United States has recently been involved with airstrikes to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya. Apart from this, the United States plans to sanction Libya, freeze its bank accounts, cut off the arms trade with its government and provide aid to the insurgents. Still, many questions have arisen regarding our role in that part of the world.
Our president recognized the brutality of Gadhafi’s regime and the potential that the conflict could turn into a much larger bloodbath. The United States has long prided itself as the leader of the free world and a standard-bearer of justice.
Some have questioned the delay in response from the United States in Libya. Perhaps it was a bit longer than one would hope for, but the president and his administration displayed the judiciousness that once eluded a recent president. He waited for the passage of the U.N. resolution, as well as firm support from NATO and the Arab League. Conflicts erupt all throughout the world, but the United States cannot conceivably intervene in all of them. We need to be more thoughtful of which ones we pick. Otherwise, we might end up with a quagmire like Iraq. The White House determined that Libya was important enough and that it could reasonably support the rebels.
It is true that we do not have a clearcut policy in Libya. However, our president has made it clear that the United States will rely on the aid of other nations and will soon give up its role as the primary organizer. We are not in Libya to stay. We need to trust our White House. It has already shown it understands the mistakes of our past and seeks to rectify them.

Gaurav Dhiman is a junior majoring in political science and biology. He may be contacted at gdhiman@themiamihurricane.com.

Gaurav Dhiman

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...