Trust White House in Libyan intervention

Most of us are aware that things have not been so peachy in Libya recently. Last Monday, our president laid a case, albeit a brief one, for American action in this nation.
There is a terrible and frightening regime in Libya. The United States has recently been involved with airstrikes to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya. Apart from this, the United States plans to sanction Libya, freeze its bank accounts, cut off the arms trade with its government and provide aid to the insurgents. Still, many questions have arisen regarding our role in that part of the world.
Our president recognized the brutality of Gadhafi’s regime and the potential that the conflict could turn into a much larger bloodbath. The United States has long prided itself as the leader of the free world and a standard-bearer of justice.
Some have questioned the delay in response from the United States in Libya. Perhaps it was a bit longer than one would hope for, but the president and his administration displayed the judiciousness that once eluded a recent president. He waited for the passage of the U.N. resolution, as well as firm support from NATO and the Arab League. Conflicts erupt all throughout the world, but the United States cannot conceivably intervene in all of them. We need to be more thoughtful of which ones we pick. Otherwise, we might end up with a quagmire like Iraq. The White House determined that Libya was important enough and that it could reasonably support the rebels.
It is true that we do not have a clearcut policy in Libya. However, our president has made it clear that the United States will rely on the aid of other nations and will soon give up its role as the primary organizer. We are not in Libya to stay. We need to trust our White House. It has already shown it understands the mistakes of our past and seeks to rectify them.

Gaurav Dhiman is a junior majoring in political science and biology. He may be contacted at gdhiman@themiamihurricane.com.

Gaurav Dhiman

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...