News briefs 2/4

Women to be added to Hall of Fame

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala was named a member of the 2011 class of the National Women’s Hall of Fame. Other inductees include Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to run the Boston Marathon, Barbara Mikulski, the first female Democratic United States Senator, Coretta Scott King and Billie Holiday. The 11 new members will be inducted on September 30 and October 1 in Seneca Falls, NY. The National Women’s Hall of Fame is the nation’s oldest membership organization recognizing the achievements of American women and has inducted 236 women since its inception.

Lecture by David Scobey

David Scobey will be presenting his talk, In Here/Out There: The Arts of Citizenship in a Diverse Democracy, or Why Maurice Chevalier Came to Town, on Monday at 3:30 p.m. in Glasgow Hall.  There will be a reception immediately after in Kirach Gallery and refreshments will be served. Th event is free and open to the public. Sponsors include the Office of Civic and Community Engagement, the College of Arts and Sciences, and the Center for the Humanities.

For more information, email civicengagement@miami.edu.

Deadline close for CPR class sign up

The last day to register for the Heart Saver CPR with AED is Monday.  The class will be Tuesday from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. The cost is $20 for student members, $30 for non-student members and $40 for non-members. To register, call 305-284-5433 or go to the Wellness Enrichment Suite located on the second floor of the Herbert Wellness Center. The class teaches CPR and relief of choking for all ages as well as how to use an Automated External Defibrillator.

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...