Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Ultrasound and abortion

Dear Editorial Board,

If the issue over the Florida ultrasound bill comes down to the patient-doctor relationship and the right to privacy, we then have only one question to ask. How does showing a woman the fetus that is actively growing inside her a violation of those rights? In fact, it makes more sense to state that good medical practice would behoove the doctor to show the patient everything that is being operated on. I see an MRI or CT scan before I undergo any surgical procedure. How is this any different?

What exactly are the doctors trying to hide from the patient? The answer is clear. Abortion providers are worried that showing an ultrasound image to a pregnant woman will sway her decision against undergoing the abortion. Why would that be? She would see a beating heart, hands reaching out and the head of a human fetus resting serenely in the womb. Of course this would cause the woman to think twice about undergoing the procedure.

If the woman decides to continue on, then that is her choice. If she decides to stop the procedure, that is also her choice. It is not the doctor’s choice to hide information from the patient in the hopes of swaying her decision. The true health care dilemma here is not big government denying the woman her fundamental right to healthcare. The dilemma here is the doctor denying the woman full knowledge of exactly the procedure she is undergoing and the consequences of that procedure.

Andrew Tomonto is a sophomore majoring in finance.

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: Ultrasound and abortion”

1. Jordan Lewis says:

I write political pieces for the paper (you will see mine soon about the budget), but I also believe that political editorials in the paper should be applicable to every student, and abortion is a sensitive issue to many people. I am a huge backer of Planned Parenthood and of womens’ rights, but I believe that abortion discussions should take place within the various organizations on campus, Young Democrats/Republicans, Students for Planned Parenthood, National Organization for Women, etc. I’ll personally discuss the issue, but not on this site.

2. Philipp says:

Good question, Jordan. The answer is that the Hurricane had a staff editorial attacking pro-life legislation. I wondered myself why a student newspaper needs to take a stand on that issue; there are many issues on campus that should be raised, and I see very little critical reflection about them in the Hurricane. Instead, I often encounter poorly argued pieces like the one at stake here.

3. Jordan Lewis says:

I appreciate your ideas, but why in the school newspaper?

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...