Adopt a grandparent, learn history

Courtesy Mary Yoachim.

With the help of the University of Miami’s Judaic Studies Program, students can adopt a grandparent and learn more about the Holocaust at the same time.

The Holocaust Survivors Service Internship is a two-semester program during which students earn three credits per semester for spending one hour a week, or two hours every other week, with a Holocaust survivor.

“It transitions from an internship course into a straight relationship,” senior Mary Yoachim said. “I refer to her as my adopted grandmother.”

Yoachim began the program last fall and was paired with 86-year-old Mala D., whose full name cannot be disclosed, from Lodz, Poland. Yoachim, whose grandparents are deceased, has no personal connection with the Holocaust, but said that meeting Mala D. has made her a more conscious person.

“It has brought the perspective of having an older person back in my life,” Yoachim said. “I ask myself what she would do in various situations. She reminds me that you have to be patient.”

Aside from meeting with a survivor, for which students are given a $250 stipend to cover travel costs, students can attend an enrichment session every other week for one day a week to view films, hear lectures and have discussions. To get credit for the internship, students must accumulate a certain number of credits that are determined by the amount of times they have met with their survivor, gone to the enrichment session or met with a faculty advisor.

At the end of the first semester, students must write a synopsis or timeline of the survivor’s life, write them a thank you letter and print out a large black-and-white photo of the student and the survivor. For the second semester, students must complete a legacy project, such as a scrapbook, a cookbook or a commemorative embroidered pillow, that can be a reflection of the pair’s relationship.

Students are matched with survivors based on their interests and background by Jewish Community Services, an organization that interviews students and survivors. Senior Vanessa Mander was paired with 81-year-old Bianca Lerner from Warsaw, Poland who has lived in Miami for the last 25 years.

“Everyone has different experiences with their survivors,” Mander said. “The first time we met she hit me with her entire Holocaust story. It was the most intense experience. But after, it felt like we became best friends.”

According to Mander, the experience is incredibly important for the survivors.

“I make Bianca’s week by going there for an hour and a half for lunch,” she said. “She does her hair and goes grocery shopping for me. It keeps them distracted.”

The credits for the internship can count for either Judaic studies or religious studies as JUS 205 and REL 408, respectively.

The program is not limited to students majoring in Judaic studies or those with a Jewish background. According to Dr. Eugene Rothman, internship coordinator and associate director for academic development at the Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies, over 50 percent of participants are not Jewish.

Rothman predicts the program will last another three to four years, since the survivors are growing older.

“It is a unique opportunity for students, but one they have to take advantage of quickly,” Rothman said.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...