The real Miami-Dade: “The Fair Be There”

Kids ride the swinging chair ride during the 2011 Miami Youth Fair. Lai Ping//The Miami Hurricane

Remember, the bright lights? The cotton candy that got stuck between your fingers? The rush of rounding the top of the ferris wheel?

At the Miami-Dade County Youth Fair and Exposition, you can reconnect with those memories and the child within.

The Youth Fair is a good place to tap into some real Miami culture. Located off of 107th Avenue and Coral Way (next to Florida International University), the fairground hosts a variety of shows, animal exhibitions, rides and games.

This year, the fair celebrates its 60th anniversary and continues its tradition of community involvement, showcasing 50,000 student exhibits of artwork, photography, short stories, poems and other academic work. Local musicians also get the chance to perform at the fair and provide live entertainment for visitors.

Returning to the fair with my close friends this year brought back happy memories. As my friends and I walked around, rode the rides, and indulged in- rumor has it- the best cinnamon rolls and corn on the cob in town, we couldn’t help but feel like we had been missing out by not visiting this unique event in the last few years.

Whether you’re looking for a fun night out with friends or looking for that perfect date spot to take the edge off, the fair is the place to be. You’ll find yourselves laughing and bonding over the rides and games.

If you’re looking to enjoy Miami like a native, pay a visit to the Youth Fair, and hurry, it closes this Sunday. As their signature slogan goes, “the fair, be there.”

Edyna Garcia may be contacted at egarcia@themiamihurricane.com.

Edyna Garcia

Contributing EDGE Writer

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...