News Briefs 3/31

Environmental film festival begins
The Environmental Coalition of Miami and the Beaches is hosting an environmental film festival Saturday in conjunction with the Sustainatopia 2011 conference. The majority of the films will be shown at the Miami Beach Cinematheque, but one specifically targeted at college students will be shown at 2 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. Tom Shadyac’s “I Am” will examine how students can make the world a better place. For more information, visit iamthedoc.com.

Cane records debuts new artists
UM’s student-run record label, ‘Cane Records, has announced its latest compilation album titled “Breaking the Surface, Vol. 1- Miami Artists on the Rise.”  The release of the album will be paired with a live music showcase at Transit Lounge on April 7 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Admission is free and open to ages 18 and older. A free bus will be available to transport students from Gusman Concert Hall to the Transit Lounge starting at 7:30 p.m.

Tradition explored at lecture series
At 7 p.m. Thursday, Iron Arrow Honor Society will present the “History and Traditions Lecture Series” at the UM Sports Hall of Fame. The lecture will recount the university’s historic traditions from an experienced perspective. The event is free and open to the public. Guests are encouraged to RSVP to ironarrow@miami.edu.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...