News Briefs 3/31

Environmental film festival begins
The Environmental Coalition of Miami and the Beaches is hosting an environmental film festival Saturday in conjunction with the Sustainatopia 2011 conference. The majority of the films will be shown at the Miami Beach Cinematheque, but one specifically targeted at college students will be shown at 2 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. Tom Shadyac’s “I Am” will examine how students can make the world a better place. For more information, visit iamthedoc.com.

Cane records debuts new artists
UM’s student-run record label, ‘Cane Records, has announced its latest compilation album titled “Breaking the Surface, Vol. 1- Miami Artists on the Rise.”  The release of the album will be paired with a live music showcase at Transit Lounge on April 7 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Admission is free and open to ages 18 and older. A free bus will be available to transport students from Gusman Concert Hall to the Transit Lounge starting at 7:30 p.m.

Tradition explored at lecture series
At 7 p.m. Thursday, Iron Arrow Honor Society will present the “History and Traditions Lecture Series” at the UM Sports Hall of Fame. The lecture will recount the university’s historic traditions from an experienced perspective. The event is free and open to the public. Guests are encouraged to RSVP to ironarrow@miami.edu.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...