News Briefs 3/31

Environmental film festival begins
The Environmental Coalition of Miami and the Beaches is hosting an environmental film festival Saturday in conjunction with the Sustainatopia 2011 conference. The majority of the films will be shown at the Miami Beach Cinematheque, but one specifically targeted at college students will be shown at 2 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. Tom Shadyac’s “I Am” will examine how students can make the world a better place. For more information, visit iamthedoc.com.

Cane records debuts new artists
UM’s student-run record label, ‘Cane Records, has announced its latest compilation album titled “Breaking the Surface, Vol. 1- Miami Artists on the Rise.”  The release of the album will be paired with a live music showcase at Transit Lounge on April 7 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Admission is free and open to ages 18 and older. A free bus will be available to transport students from Gusman Concert Hall to the Transit Lounge starting at 7:30 p.m.

Tradition explored at lecture series
At 7 p.m. Thursday, Iron Arrow Honor Society will present the “History and Traditions Lecture Series” at the UM Sports Hall of Fame. The lecture will recount the university’s historic traditions from an experienced perspective. The event is free and open to the public. Guests are encouraged to RSVP to ironarrow@miami.edu.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...