News Briefs 3/31

Environmental film festival begins
The Environmental Coalition of Miami and the Beaches is hosting an environmental film festival Saturday in conjunction with the Sustainatopia 2011 conference. The majority of the films will be shown at the Miami Beach Cinematheque, but one specifically targeted at college students will be shown at 2 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. Tom Shadyac’s “I Am” will examine how students can make the world a better place. For more information, visit iamthedoc.com.

Cane records debuts new artists
UM’s student-run record label, ‘Cane Records, has announced its latest compilation album titled “Breaking the Surface, Vol. 1- Miami Artists on the Rise.”  The release of the album will be paired with a live music showcase at Transit Lounge on April 7 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Admission is free and open to ages 18 and older. A free bus will be available to transport students from Gusman Concert Hall to the Transit Lounge starting at 7:30 p.m.

Tradition explored at lecture series
At 7 p.m. Thursday, Iron Arrow Honor Society will present the “History and Traditions Lecture Series” at the UM Sports Hall of Fame. The lecture will recount the university’s historic traditions from an experienced perspective. The event is free and open to the public. Guests are encouraged to RSVP to ironarrow@miami.edu.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...