Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Making a stand of my own

Please permit me a small amount of space in your paper to make a stand of my own.

I’m astounded by the decision of your publication to allow space even on its Web site to the statements of activists standing against UM on the issue of the Life Science & Technology Park. It seems to me that this only helps to further legitimize the voice of this group that frankly seems to have little real interest in anything other than garnering the attention of the media. “You cannot shake hands with clenched fists” and if a group representing the interests of the Overtown community truly wanted to invoke change, they would be sitting down to work with UM, not standing to fight it.

I am aware that my letter may welcome a large number of comments from these “activists” on your Web site, but this shall only further prove my point. I hope I am not the only one that sees guerrilla tactics and marketing as what they are.

I Stand With UM.

Ryan Aquilina is a junior majoring in political science and motion pictures.

Ryan Aquilina

Letter to the Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...