Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Making a stand of my own

Please permit me a small amount of space in your paper to make a stand of my own.

I’m astounded by the decision of your publication to allow space even on its Web site to the statements of activists standing against UM on the issue of the Life Science & Technology Park. It seems to me that this only helps to further legitimize the voice of this group that frankly seems to have little real interest in anything other than garnering the attention of the media. “You cannot shake hands with clenched fists” and if a group representing the interests of the Overtown community truly wanted to invoke change, they would be sitting down to work with UM, not standing to fight it.

I am aware that my letter may welcome a large number of comments from these “activists” on your Web site, but this shall only further prove my point. I hope I am not the only one that sees guerrilla tactics and marketing as what they are.

I Stand With UM.

Ryan Aquilina is a junior majoring in political science and motion pictures.

Ryan Aquilina

Letter to the Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: Making a stand of my own”

1. Jacob says:

As both an alumni of UM and an active member of Miami’s community, I find it unfortunate that a student thinks standing against a community is “standing with UM”.

I stand with UM, and I stand with UM’s values, becuase I know what everyone else in Miami knows: I believe that UM can do the right thing and sit down at the table with Overtown- something that residents have been asking Shalala to do for a long time.

As someone who works with lobby delegations in the city, county and state, organizes in the county budget process and runs programs directed at civic engagment, I know that all eyes are on Shalala right now.

I appreciate the thought Ryan but the whole community is watching, and most folks know that UM has refused do to just what you’re asking.

And what I know is that my UM is better than this.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...