Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 3/28

Women’s Tennis

The sixth-ranked Hurricanes beat Virginia on Saturday with a score of 4-3. The teams were tied going into the final match. Freshman Kayla Rizzolo came up big for Miami, recording a come from behind victory to clinch the match. On Sunday, the Hurricanes extended their winning streak in Virginia, coming away with the 6-1 win. The Hokies struck first, coming away with the doubles point, but were unable to hold on to that lead as Miami swept its way through singles play. The Canes return this week to take on Wake Forest on Friday and NC State on Sunday.

Track & Field

The Canes competed in the UCF Invitational on Friday and Saturday. Charles Michel earned his first win of the outdoor season in the 10,000-meter run. Katharine Woodard broke her own school record in the steeplechase, beating her previous best time by over 30 seconds. A number of other Hurricanes finished in the top five of their respective events. The team next competes on April 1-2 in the Florida Relays in Gainesville.

Football

Head football coach Al Golden has announced that the team’s scheduled Tuesday practice will be open to University of Miami students and employees. It will take place on the Greentree practice fields beginning at 2:15 pm, with gates opening up at 1:45. The practice is expected to last approximately three hours. Any student or employee attending only needs to bring their Cane Card to the facility. No video cameras will be allowed.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...