Reduced speed for UM’s internal roads

University of Miami Police Department will reduce speed limits from 30 mph to 15 mph on the streets around campus. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Hurricane

Commuters, savor your last few weeks of speed. Pedestrians, rejoice.

The University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) has planned to reduce the speed limit for all internal roads on campus from 30 to 15 mph.

According to Lieutenant Michael Colombo, this change is part of a UMPD campaign advocating pedestrian safety titled ‘Canes Crossroads. Roads affected by the new policy include all the internal roads on campus from Dickinson Drive to Brunson Drive.

After just recently receiving the deeds to the roads from Coral Gables, UM and the police department have been conducting studies in order to enhance pedestrian and bike safety on campus. Recommendations include everything from lawn maintenance to correcting traffic signs.

“Some of the reasons why we’re lowering the speed limits have to do with pedestrian safety,” Colombo said. “Those roads just don’t allow for more than 15 mph, but also because we have a daycare on campus and it’s just common. FIU’s limits are 15 mph too.”

Some students are relieved, while others are not as thrilled.

“I think it’s a good thing because there are a lot of twists and turns that people drive fast around,” junior Katie Mischel said.

Senior Rafael Hernandez feels differently.

“I understand lowering it in certain places, like by the daycare school, but other than that, I think speed bumps were taking good care of slowing people down already,” he said.

Colombo estimated that the signs indicating the new speed limits will be posted in the next two-to-three weeks. Once the signs are up, UMPD will issue a public statement notifying students, faculty and staff of the change on campus.

Carmen Rodriguez may be contacted at crodriguez@themiamihurricane.com.

Carmen Rodriguez

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...