Reduced speed for UM’s internal roads

University of Miami Police Department will reduce speed limits from 30 mph to 15 mph on the streets around campus. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Hurricane

Commuters, savor your last few weeks of speed. Pedestrians, rejoice.

The University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) has planned to reduce the speed limit for all internal roads on campus from 30 to 15 mph.

According to Lieutenant Michael Colombo, this change is part of a UMPD campaign advocating pedestrian safety titled ‘Canes Crossroads. Roads affected by the new policy include all the internal roads on campus from Dickinson Drive to Brunson Drive.

After just recently receiving the deeds to the roads from Coral Gables, UM and the police department have been conducting studies in order to enhance pedestrian and bike safety on campus. Recommendations include everything from lawn maintenance to correcting traffic signs.

“Some of the reasons why we’re lowering the speed limits have to do with pedestrian safety,” Colombo said. “Those roads just don’t allow for more than 15 mph, but also because we have a daycare on campus and it’s just common. FIU’s limits are 15 mph too.”

Some students are relieved, while others are not as thrilled.

“I think it’s a good thing because there are a lot of twists and turns that people drive fast around,” junior Katie Mischel said.

Senior Rafael Hernandez feels differently.

“I understand lowering it in certain places, like by the daycare school, but other than that, I think speed bumps were taking good care of slowing people down already,” he said.

Colombo estimated that the signs indicating the new speed limits will be posted in the next two-to-three weeks. Once the signs are up, UMPD will issue a public statement notifying students, faculty and staff of the change on campus.

Carmen Rodriguez may be contacted at crodriguez@themiamihurricane.com.

Carmen Rodriguez

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...