Reduced speed for UM’s internal roads

University of Miami Police Department will reduce speed limits from 30 mph to 15 mph on the streets around campus. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Hurricane

Commuters, savor your last few weeks of speed. Pedestrians, rejoice.

The University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) has planned to reduce the speed limit for all internal roads on campus from 30 to 15 mph.

According to Lieutenant Michael Colombo, this change is part of a UMPD campaign advocating pedestrian safety titled ‘Canes Crossroads. Roads affected by the new policy include all the internal roads on campus from Dickinson Drive to Brunson Drive.

After just recently receiving the deeds to the roads from Coral Gables, UM and the police department have been conducting studies in order to enhance pedestrian and bike safety on campus. Recommendations include everything from lawn maintenance to correcting traffic signs.

“Some of the reasons why we’re lowering the speed limits have to do with pedestrian safety,” Colombo said. “Those roads just don’t allow for more than 15 mph, but also because we have a daycare on campus and it’s just common. FIU’s limits are 15 mph too.”

Some students are relieved, while others are not as thrilled.

“I think it’s a good thing because there are a lot of twists and turns that people drive fast around,” junior Katie Mischel said.

Senior Rafael Hernandez feels differently.

“I understand lowering it in certain places, like by the daycare school, but other than that, I think speed bumps were taking good care of slowing people down already,” he said.

Colombo estimated that the signs indicating the new speed limits will be posted in the next two-to-three weeks. Once the signs are up, UMPD will issue a public statement notifying students, faculty and staff of the change on campus.

Carmen Rodriguez may be contacted at crodriguez@themiamihurricane.com.

Carmen Rodriguez

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...