News Briefs and Iron Arrow News 3/28

Dave Barry and U

During this year’s Academic Integrity Week kick-off event, the Honor Council will be hosting Miami Herald Columnist and Pulitzer Prize winner Dave Barry to speak on his experiences with ethics, honor and integrity. The lecture will take place Thursday at 7 p.m. in Storer Auditorium. Seating is on a first come, first served basis and there will be refreshments available following the lecture. There will also be a brief question and answer period at the end of the event.

——-

Honor society taps new members
The following students, alumni and university employees were tapped into Iron Arrow last Thursday:
Maggie DeBarberie, Glen Barber, Paige Giusfredi, Brian Sperber, Erin Boatman, Jose Armario, Dean Myers, Haley Gordon, Jake Krupa, Brandon Mitchell, Maria Ronderos, James Gailey, Marytery Fajardo, Amanda Voehl, Bertila Soto, Jose Alejandro Barreto Martinez, Mandy Karnauskas, Molly Piccione, Katie Meier, Marsha Kegley, Peter Ortner, Ron Oremland, Jose Alvarez and David Tse.

Women’s bball coach honored
Katie Meier, the head coach of the University of Miami women’s basketball team, was recently tapped into Iron Arrow Society, the highest honor at UM.
Meier just completed her sixth season at UM and was named the 2011 Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Coach of the Year. She led the Hurricanes to a 28-5 record, their first ACC regular season title and earned a a top-10 ranking in the polls for the first time since 1992.

History of the tradition trustees
Iron Arrow, founded in 1926 by UM’s first president Bowman Foster Ashe, follows the rituals of the Seminole Indian Tribe and honors those who best exemplify five characteristics: love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...