News Briefs and Iron Arrow News 3/28

Dave Barry and U

During this year’s Academic Integrity Week kick-off event, the Honor Council will be hosting Miami Herald Columnist and Pulitzer Prize winner Dave Barry to speak on his experiences with ethics, honor and integrity. The lecture will take place Thursday at 7 p.m. in Storer Auditorium. Seating is on a first come, first served basis and there will be refreshments available following the lecture. There will also be a brief question and answer period at the end of the event.

——-

Honor society taps new members
The following students, alumni and university employees were tapped into Iron Arrow last Thursday:
Maggie DeBarberie, Glen Barber, Paige Giusfredi, Brian Sperber, Erin Boatman, Jose Armario, Dean Myers, Haley Gordon, Jake Krupa, Brandon Mitchell, Maria Ronderos, James Gailey, Marytery Fajardo, Amanda Voehl, Bertila Soto, Jose Alejandro Barreto Martinez, Mandy Karnauskas, Molly Piccione, Katie Meier, Marsha Kegley, Peter Ortner, Ron Oremland, Jose Alvarez and David Tse.

Women’s bball coach honored
Katie Meier, the head coach of the University of Miami women’s basketball team, was recently tapped into Iron Arrow Society, the highest honor at UM.
Meier just completed her sixth season at UM and was named the 2011 Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Coach of the Year. She led the Hurricanes to a 28-5 record, their first ACC regular season title and earned a a top-10 ranking in the polls for the first time since 1992.

History of the tradition trustees
Iron Arrow, founded in 1926 by UM’s first president Bowman Foster Ashe, follows the rituals of the Seminole Indian Tribe and honors those who best exemplify five characteristics: love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...