Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letters to the Editor: Overtown’s Response to UM

It is amazing that everyone knows what’s best for Overtown! A recent Miami Herald editorial, and UM responses have dismissively cited that those expressing a desire for the UM Life Science and Technology Park/Wexford to commit to a long-term investment in the neighborhood are ‘a few community activists’, meddlers looking for a handout.  On the contrary, there is an entire neighborhood whose voice is going unheard!

The Overtown Community Oversight Board (OCOB) has recently drafted a resolution on behalf of the Overtown community, asking that a Community Benefits Agreement be drafted and that residents are represented at the negotiating table.  We are not a group of agitators, but rather official community leaders, residents, business owners and other stakeholders. Overtown residents are not interested in handshakes, backslapping, and empty promises.  An agreement is the only guarantee that will assure that each party keeps its promise.

We seek partnership in a meaningful, long-term relationship with UM/Wexford and other developers and businesses that will receive public funds to bring about redevelopment in Overtown.  This is a community that is not looking for something for nothing; this project is set to receive a $60 million bond, a $25 million county grant, $8.33 million New Markets tax credits- funds only available because the construction is being done in the low-income community of Overtown.

Now, the university stands to receive a rumored $8 million in CRA dollars, which come from tax revenues generated in the CRA district.  While there has been some community interaction, it falls miserably short of what residents are asking. Legitimate, credible leaders have sought to bridge the disconnect that still exists, but have not been successful in reaching those who are the real decision and policy-makers.

Bishop James Adams, Senior Pastor

Overtown Community Oversight Board,  Chairman

bishopjda@aol.com

St. John Institutional Missionary Baptist Church (Overtown)

1328 Northwest 3rd Avenue, Miami

305-372-3877

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...