Event raises $60,000 for Best Buddies program

Friends don’t always make a lasting impact, but in Best Buddies the friendships are said to be life-changing.

Members of the University of Miami Best Buddies chapter participated in the first Best Buddies Friendship Walk on Saturday to raise awareness about intellectual and developmental disabilities.

The 2.2-mile walk raised $60,000 for the Best Buddies programs of Miami-Dade and Broward Counties.

Junior Ashley Tirado, president of the university’s chapter, has been buddies with Evelyn Mathos, a 35-year-old with Down Syndrome.

“It feels great to be here,” Tirado said. “It’s not so much what you give, but what you get in return. The friendship itself is life-changing; they find happiness in everything.”
Best Buddies operates accredited programs in 50 countries and has almost 1,500 chapters around the world.

“People with disabilities also have great capabilities,” said Martha Lagarde, area director of Best Buddies. “We want everyone to know more about Best Buddies, to get more information, and to hopefully become involved. We are also here to educate the parents of people with IDD, by letting them know that Best Buddies exist and that we can help people with disabilities be part of society.”

Alejandra Gutierrez may be contacted at agutierrez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alejandra Gutierrez

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...