Event raises $60,000 for Best Buddies program

Friends don’t always make a lasting impact, but in Best Buddies the friendships are said to be life-changing.

Members of the University of Miami Best Buddies chapter participated in the first Best Buddies Friendship Walk on Saturday to raise awareness about intellectual and developmental disabilities.

The 2.2-mile walk raised $60,000 for the Best Buddies programs of Miami-Dade and Broward Counties.

Junior Ashley Tirado, president of the university’s chapter, has been buddies with Evelyn Mathos, a 35-year-old with Down Syndrome.

“It feels great to be here,” Tirado said. “It’s not so much what you give, but what you get in return. The friendship itself is life-changing; they find happiness in everything.”
Best Buddies operates accredited programs in 50 countries and has almost 1,500 chapters around the world.

“People with disabilities also have great capabilities,” said Martha Lagarde, area director of Best Buddies. “We want everyone to know more about Best Buddies, to get more information, and to hopefully become involved. We are also here to educate the parents of people with IDD, by letting them know that Best Buddies exist and that we can help people with disabilities be part of society.”

Alejandra Gutierrez may be contacted at agutierrez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alejandra Gutierrez

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...