Radcliffe stars in timeless ‘How to Succeed’

NEW YORK – Although the Pulitzer and Tony Award-winning play opened on Broadway 50 years ago, the second revival of “How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying” delivers the same punch of wit and charm.
While still in previews before its official opening March 27 at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre in New York City, “How to Succeed” already runs like the well-oiled company portrayed in the musical.
Daniel Radcliffe, also known as the boy wizard from the Harry Potter series, shows range by singing, dancing and using an American accent.
It’s a far cry from his critically-acclaimed Broadway debut in 2008 when he played Alan Strang, the psychologically disturbed teenager in “Equus” who blinds six horses.
Here, Radcliffe’s character J. Pierrepont Finch tries to work his way to the top of the World Wide Wicket Company after starting off as a window washer. A book that shares the play’s name, narrated by Anderson Cooper (CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360”), guides him every step of the way.
A secretary is not a toy. Get out of the mailroom. Never end up in the advertising department.
Though he doesn’t possess the best singing voice or dance moves, Radcliffe more than keeps up with his counterparts and portrays a likeable character, despite his manipulative steps to climb the corporate ladder.
One of the play’s highlights comes during “Grand Old Ivy,” when Finch dupes boss J.B. Biggley, played by Emmy winner John Larroquette (“Night Court”), in a football-inspired dance number. The penultimate song, “Brotherhood of Man,” shows off the ensemble’s talent.
With a satirical take on life in the 1950s, the show’s female characters certainly keep up with the boys.
Rose Hemingway’s Rosemary Pilkington is just as ambitious as Finch- her goal is to marry him and keep his dinner warm. Hedy La Rue, played by Tammy Blanchard, is the Joan equivalent from “Mad Men,” and proves to be more than just curves.
The play, which will run through the end of the year, is worth a weekend visit to the Big Apple. “How to Succeed” displays its surprising timelessness with things that never change, regardless of decade.
Just ask all the crazed workers in search of that final cup of coffee.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at cdenicola@themiamihurricane.com.IF YOU GO

Where: Al Hirschfeld Theatre, 302 West 45th Street, New York City

When: Tuesday 7 p.m., Wednesday 2 p.m. & 8 p.m., Thursday 7 p.m., Friday 8 p.m., Saturday 2 p.m. & 8 p.m., Sunday 3 p.m.

Theatrical run: Through 2011

General rush: $30 limited tickets available at 10 a.m. the day of a performance

Ticket prices: Range from $52-132

More info: howtosucceedbroadway.com or @H2SBway

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...