New floor designed for eco-conscious students

GOING GREEN: The net-zero water dorm developers (from left to right), Sabina Rakhimbekova, Mirek Miroslav, Vincent Warger, John Pittaluga, James Englehardt, Sebastian Eilert, Tingting Wu, Tianjiao Guo, Cristina Delphus and Ali Habashi, will be working together on a water conservation project in Eaton. Courtesy Joshua Prezant.

The green floor is a go.

Twenty students have been chosen to live in a newly renovated, environmentally-friendly floor in Eaton.

Designed by the UM College of Engineering and funded by the National Science Foundation, “The Water Project,” lead by the group living on the floor, will use technology to reduce energy and water demand and promote sustainable development.

Next semester, 20 undergraduates will begin the four-year project while living in Eaton Residential College and working toward developing a new system for recycling wastewater.

“The goal of the net-zero water dorm is to ultimately bring change to the way people use water where they live by applying cutting-edge technology and research in the area of environmental engineering,” said Vincent Warger, the project’s filter designer and public relations coordinator.

Initial testing and maximization of the treatment process will begin in the fall of 2011 and the system will be fully implemented in January 2012.

The engineering techniques used in this eco-friendly project will include retrofitting the plumbing to create special drinking water taps and a rainwater cistern system on the roof of Eaton.

Students interested in living on the green floor were required to attend mandatory community meetings and will be actively assisting in the creation and implementation of the program. Aside from applying, there are no other requirements to live on the floor.

“We hope that we are making a positive impact on the environment,” said Tianjiao Guo, 23, a Ph.D. candidate and environmental engineering student.

Residents of other special interest housing floors in Eaton believe the new floor will be a great experience.

“Special interest housing is a great way to meet new people who share your same interest, activities and skills,” said Sharif Michael Ahmed, 19, president and creator of Audio Abode, the music special interest housing floor.

Jamie Stephens may be contacted at jstephens@themiamihurricane.com.

View the video piece on the project here: http://vimeo.com/21422145

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...