Football, Sports

Buchanan arrested, suspended

Senior linebacker Ramon Buchanan was arrested early Friday morning on several felony and misdemeanor charges, including resisting an officer with violence and battery on a law enforcement officer.

He has since been put on indefinite suspension from the football team pending further review of the arrest. A court hearing for Buchanan’s case will be held April 18.

The incident, which occurred in Coconut Grove during spring break, is the first arrest of a UM football player since October 2007 when former Cane Robert Marve faced a misdemeanor  charge of resisting arrest with violence. Marve transferred to Purdue in May 2009.

Buchanan had no previous arrests on his record, The Miami Herald reported.

According to the police report filed after the incident, Buchanan allegedly caused a disturbance in a men’s bathroom near Fat Tuesday around 1:30 a.m. When police officers arrived to the scene and told Buchanan to leave, he responded “No. [Expletive] you, I ain’t leaving.”

Although defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio has refrained from any comments so far, head coach Al Golden released a statement through the university media relations. In it, Golden stated that he was aware of the situation and was “disappointed” with the news.

“This is out of character for a young man who has been a positive influence in our program,” Golden said. “He is contrite and apologetic for the situation and is currently taking the appropriate actions towards resolution.”

Before practice on Tuesday, Golden addressed reporters for the first time.

“His misstep is unfortunate, but again, I want to make sure we’re all on the same page, that this behavior will not be tolerated, nor will anything that represents the university or alumni or student body in that sense,” Golden said.

Buchanan now joins six other players suspended for the season-opening game against Maryland, which includes starting offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson. The reason for their suspensions is rumored to be infractions against team rules.

“We’re very proud of our track record here,” Golden said. “We’ve had the best track record in the state of Florida with our student-athletes over the last five years, arguably one of the best in the ACC. The torch has been passed to us and we’re going to do everything we can to uphold the standards and mission of the university.’’

Austen Gregerson may be contacted at agregerson@themiamihurricane.com.

Austen Gregerson

Staff Columnist

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...