Beelzebubs bring ‘Glee’ to the Rat

Minus Glee’s Dalton Academy dreamboat Blaine (Darren Criss) and loveable Kurt (Chris Colfer), Tufts University’s Beelzebubs performed for a crowd that began lining up more than an hour before it began.
And the Beelzebubs, Tuft’s oldest all-male a cappella group, were equally, if not more, excited to perform on the unique Rathskeller stage.

Soloist Jack Thomas performs during the group’s rendition of Mariah Carey’s “You’ll Always Be My Baby” at Acapella Night at the Ratskeller on Tuesday, March 22. Brittney Bomnin//Art Director

The Beelzebubs, the singing sensations behind the voices of the Dalton Academy Warblers, is made up of undergraduates at Tufts, which is located in Boston.
Alternating among classic rock songs, soulful ballads and top-40 rap hits, the Beelzebubs struck the hearts of their mostly female audience with silly dance moves and funny personal stories.
The group’s humor, however, did not take away from their vocal professionalism, even while soloist Jack Thomas goofily seduced the audience during the group’s rendition of Mariah Carey’s “You’ll Always Be My Baby.”
Right from their opening rendition of Matisyahu’s “One Day,” the Beelzebubs were energetic and had an tangible connection with the audience. The crowd was singing along to Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream,” a Glee favorite, and bobbing their heads to the group’s encore of Trey Songz and Nicki Minaj’s “Bottoms Up”- they couldn’t get enough of the Bubs.

Each of the 11 members had the opportunity to show off his talent, but together the group blended beautifully, complete with a variety of crisp and realistic vocal percussion and strings. And it didn’t hurt that most of the Beelzebubs are pretty attractive.
The Beelzebubs’ Tuesday night performance was successful and memorable for Gleeks and music lovers alike.

Alexa Lopez may be contacted at alopez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...