Students still needed to aid Haiti after disaster

Groups working in Haiti after a devastating earthquake last year are looking for University of Miami students who might be interested in helping rebuild the country.
As the rainy season approaches, the streets of Haiti are still lined up with thousands of tents that provide shelter for about one million people who are still homeless. A few months past the one year mark, Haiti is still recovering from the catastrophic earthquake that killed more than 300,000 people.

On Monday, the Haiti Research Group held a forum discussing Haiti’s housing crisis and the importance of student involvement. Organizations such as Haiti Aid Watchdog provide internships and volunteer opportunities for students.

“The most a student can do is to bring that truth to light and push the government to do right or risk losing the support it needs from the international community,” said Mike Michel, a member of UM’s Haitian Students Organization.

Colette Lespinasse, a Haitian journalist and social worker, focused on the citizens still in tents and the issues they face on a daily basis.

“The authorities do not monitor the tents so civilians are left to defend themselves and women are sexual abused. Pregnancy rates have increased in these communities,” Lespinasse said.

Thousands of Non-Governmental Organizations, or NGOs, have sprouted in Haiti since the earthquake to help with housing, food and other concerns. Event coordinator, Kate Ramsey addressed this issue.

“There was a mutual concern among the panelists that there needs to be tighter regulation of the NGOs that work in the country,” she said. “They ought not to impose their own top-down agendas but rather respect priorities set by local communities, working in partnership with them.”

Mikayla Vielot may be contacted at mvielot@themiamihurricane.com.

Mikayla Vielot

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...