Students still needed to aid Haiti after disaster

Groups working in Haiti after a devastating earthquake last year are looking for University of Miami students who might be interested in helping rebuild the country.
As the rainy season approaches, the streets of Haiti are still lined up with thousands of tents that provide shelter for about one million people who are still homeless. A few months past the one year mark, Haiti is still recovering from the catastrophic earthquake that killed more than 300,000 people.

On Monday, the Haiti Research Group held a forum discussing Haiti’s housing crisis and the importance of student involvement. Organizations such as Haiti Aid Watchdog provide internships and volunteer opportunities for students.

“The most a student can do is to bring that truth to light and push the government to do right or risk losing the support it needs from the international community,” said Mike Michel, a member of UM’s Haitian Students Organization.

Colette Lespinasse, a Haitian journalist and social worker, focused on the citizens still in tents and the issues they face on a daily basis.

“The authorities do not monitor the tents so civilians are left to defend themselves and women are sexual abused. Pregnancy rates have increased in these communities,” Lespinasse said.

Thousands of Non-Governmental Organizations, or NGOs, have sprouted in Haiti since the earthquake to help with housing, food and other concerns. Event coordinator, Kate Ramsey addressed this issue.

“There was a mutual concern among the panelists that there needs to be tighter regulation of the NGOs that work in the country,” she said. “They ought not to impose their own top-down agendas but rather respect priorities set by local communities, working in partnership with them.”

Mikayla Vielot may be contacted at mvielot@themiamihurricane.com.

Mikayla Vielot

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...