Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 3/10

Football

Former Hurricanes Jimmy Johnson and Russell Maryland are among the 79 players and nine coaches on the  2011 Football Bowl Subdivision Ballot for induction into the College Football Hall of Fame. Johnson coached the Canes for five seasons, with a 52-9 record and a national championship victory in 1987. Maryland was the first Hurricane to win the Outland Trophy as the best lineman in college. He was a consensus All-American in 1991, and in the same year was drafted No. 1 overall by the Dallas Cowboys. The Hall of Fame class will be announced on December 6th.

Track and Field

Tarika Williams and Devon Hill will represent Miami at the 2011 NCAA Indoor National Championships. Williams won the ACC Championship in the 200m dash, and Hill beat the field in 60m hurdles. The event is being held this coming Friday and Saturday at Texas A&M’s Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium in College Station, Texas.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team was unable to crack the top eight in th ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...