Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 3/10

Football

Former Hurricanes Jimmy Johnson and Russell Maryland are among the 79 players and nine coaches on the  2011 Football Bowl Subdivision Ballot for induction into the College Football Hall of Fame. Johnson coached the Canes for five seasons, with a 52-9 record and a national championship victory in 1987. Maryland was the first Hurricane to win the Outland Trophy as the best lineman in college. He was a consensus All-American in 1991, and in the same year was drafted No. 1 overall by the Dallas Cowboys. The Hall of Fame class will be announced on December 6th.

Track and Field

Tarika Williams and Devon Hill will represent Miami at the 2011 NCAA Indoor National Championships. Williams won the ACC Championship in the 200m dash, and Hill beat the field in 60m hurdles. The event is being held this coming Friday and Saturday at Texas A&M’s Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium in College Station, Texas.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...