Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 3/10

Football

Former Hurricanes Jimmy Johnson and Russell Maryland are among the 79 players and nine coaches on the  2011 Football Bowl Subdivision Ballot for induction into the College Football Hall of Fame. Johnson coached the Canes for five seasons, with a 52-9 record and a national championship victory in 1987. Maryland was the first Hurricane to win the Outland Trophy as the best lineman in college. He was a consensus All-American in 1991, and in the same year was drafted No. 1 overall by the Dallas Cowboys. The Hall of Fame class will be announced on December 6th.

Track and Field

Tarika Williams and Devon Hill will represent Miami at the 2011 NCAA Indoor National Championships. Williams won the ACC Championship in the 200m dash, and Hill beat the field in 60m hurdles. The event is being held this coming Friday and Saturday at Texas A&M’s Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium in College Station, Texas.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Darci Miller Opinion Editor

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...