News Briefs 3/10

Director of Herrick Center appointed

Christina Lane has been appointed director of the University of Miami School of Communication Norton Herrick Center For Motion Picture Studies. Lane is an associate professor on the SoC’s Motion Pictures’ program. In her role as director, Lane will work with faculty and administration to develop programming for the center and will oversee the digitization and cataloging of the center’s video and rare early silent film collection.

“Brazil: A Global Prayer?” lecture

The Miami Consortium for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, in a partnership with the University of Miami’s Center for Latin American Studies and Florida International University’s Latin American and Caribbean Center, will be holding “Brazil: A Global Prayer?” its inaugural lecture in its Distinguished Speakers Series on March 24 at 11:3o p.m. in the Executive Board Room of the School of Nursing. The lecture will be given by Dr. Maria Hermínia Tavares de Almeida,a Professor of International and Political Science at the University of São Paulo and the President of the Latin American Studies Association. For more information and to RSVP, contact the Center for Latin American Studies at 305-284-1854 or email umclas@miami.edu.

History & Traditions Lecture Series

The Iron Arrow Honor Society, in conjunction with the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame, will be hosting the History & Traditions Lecture Series on March 31 at 7:00PM. The lecture is “How Are Traditions Formed?” and will discuss the historic traditions of “The U.” The featured panelists will include G. Holmes Braddock Randal “Thrill” Hill and Helene Kichefski Norm Parsons John Routh. Attendance is free but seating is limited. Please RSVP to ironarrow@miami.edu.

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...