News Briefs 3/10

Director of Herrick Center appointed

Christina Lane has been appointed director of the University of Miami School of Communication Norton Herrick Center For Motion Picture Studies. Lane is an associate professor on the SoC’s Motion Pictures’ program. In her role as director, Lane will work with faculty and administration to develop programming for the center and will oversee the digitization and cataloging of the center’s video and rare early silent film collection.

“Brazil: A Global Prayer?” lecture

The Miami Consortium for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, in a partnership with the University of Miami’s Center for Latin American Studies and Florida International University’s Latin American and Caribbean Center, will be holding “Brazil: A Global Prayer?” its inaugural lecture in its Distinguished Speakers Series on March 24 at 11:3o p.m. in the Executive Board Room of the School of Nursing. The lecture will be given by Dr. Maria Hermínia Tavares de Almeida,a Professor of International and Political Science at the University of São Paulo and the President of the Latin American Studies Association. For more information and to RSVP, contact the Center for Latin American Studies at 305-284-1854 or email umclas@miami.edu.

History & Traditions Lecture Series

The Iron Arrow Honor Society, in conjunction with the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame, will be hosting the History & Traditions Lecture Series on March 31 at 7:00PM. The lecture is “How Are Traditions Formed?” and will discuss the historic traditions of “The U.” The featured panelists will include G. Holmes Braddock Randal “Thrill” Hill and Helene Kichefski Norm Parsons John Routh. Attendance is free but seating is limited. Please RSVP to ironarrow@miami.edu.

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor