Sports, Tennis

Tar Heels knock Canes for first ACC loss

Bianca Eichkorn (left) and Anna Bartenstein (right) wait for the serve during the Wednesday night game against the Tar Heels. Steven Levy//The Miami Hurricane

A No. 3 ranking, successes over top-25 opponents Michigan, Georgia Tech and Clemson, and a perfect 3-0 ACC record had the Hurricanes flying high over the past week.

On Wednesday afternoon, North Carolina (10-3, 1-0 ACC), showed Miami that they are a force to be reckoned with in the ACC.

The No.6 Tar Heels came into Coral Gables on Wednesday night and stole one away from the Hurricanes, picking up the 4-3 overall win. For the Hurricanes (10-3, 3-1 ACC), the loss is their first since mid-February, when they fell to the UCLA Bruins.

“Obviously we’re disappointed in the outcome, but happy with the way the girls competed,” said head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “It was a tough match, it came down to just a few details.”

The doubles tandem of Gabriela Mejia and Melissa Bolivar started the day with an 8-2 victory over North Carolina’s Jelena Durisic and Tessa Lyons. Miami’s next two doubles matches went down to the wire, however. The Canes lost both 9-8, giving the Tar Heels the doubles point.

“We knew the doubles point was really important today, and starting off down 1-0 was big,” Yaroshuk said.
In singles play, Miami was able to tie the score up at one apiece when Bianca Eichkorn, the reigning ACC Player of the Week and No.10-ranked player in the country, dismantled the No. 14-ranked Zoe De Bruycker (6-2, 6-0). Miami took a 3-1 overall lead when both Anna Bartenstein (6-3, 6-4) and Gabriela Mejia (6-4, 6-2) won the next two matches.

That’s when things began to unravel for the Canes.

After losing the first set 6-2, Miami’s Melissa Bolivar fought back to win her second set 6-3.Durisic won the final set and the match for North Carolina, and the Tar Heels swept their way through the final two matches.

“We always want to win and today we came a little bit short, but some upcoming matches hopefully we’ll be winning again,” said Anna Bartenstein, who has won five straight matches at the No. 2 position.

Every opponent for the Hurricanes in the last two weeks was ranked in the top 25.

“Of course it’s hard. These girls physically have gone through a lot,” said Yaroshuk. “We’re all competitors and we all want to win, but its going to prepare us for April and May, and that’s why the schedule is what it is.”

The Canes hit the road for their next four matches. On Saturday, they face off against Texas Christian University before taking on No. 7 Baylor on Monday afternoon.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Austen Gregerson contributed to this report.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...