Night at the museum

Courtesy Flickr

If you’re looking for drinks and dance music, skip the Grove and check out Bass Art Museum’s beats after sunset. The first Friday of every month from 8 to 10 p.m. the Bass Museum of Art opens its terrace for a night full of music, food, drinks and of course, breathtaking art.

The Bass Art Museum was founded in 1963 through the donations of John and Johanna Bass. The collection began with 500 works, mostly European paintings. Currently, the museum has more than 3,000 works from all over the world, not to mention a great location and a terrace with the best view Miami Beach has to offer.

The first thing one encounters when going to the terrace is the pumping sound of house music that energizes and lifts spirits. There is a long table filled with snacks and a bartender who will make any drink you can imagine.

The entrance is $8 for non-members and free with membership, a good price considering one gets complete access to current exhibitions in addition to the benefits of a live DJ, complimentary drinks and free food.

Mingle with other art lovers and make new acquaintances. The museum currently houses Florida’s only Egyptian gallery, and after a quick snack, one can explore rooms bursting with artifacts ranging from a child’s sarcophagus to several amazing examples of Egyptian statuary, canopic jars, stela fragments and pottery.

Even though two hours is hardly enough to see it all, they’re hours well-spent. Whether getting deliciously free fish tacos, walking around the exhibits, sipping a glass of wine or dancing in the terrace, there are plenty of things to do. The atmosphere is trendy and mellow. Relax and spend a lovely Friday night soaking up some culture.

IF YOU GO
Where: 2100 Collins ave.
(between 21st and 22nd streets)
When: Friday, 8 to 10 p.m.
Contact: bassmuseum.org

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane.com

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...