Night at the museum

Courtesy Flickr

If you’re looking for drinks and dance music, skip the Grove and check out Bass Art Museum’s beats after sunset. The first Friday of every month from 8 to 10 p.m. the Bass Museum of Art opens its terrace for a night full of music, food, drinks and of course, breathtaking art.

The Bass Art Museum was founded in 1963 through the donations of John and Johanna Bass. The collection began with 500 works, mostly European paintings. Currently, the museum has more than 3,000 works from all over the world, not to mention a great location and a terrace with the best view Miami Beach has to offer.

The first thing one encounters when going to the terrace is the pumping sound of house music that energizes and lifts spirits. There is a long table filled with snacks and a bartender who will make any drink you can imagine.

The entrance is $8 for non-members and free with membership, a good price considering one gets complete access to current exhibitions in addition to the benefits of a live DJ, complimentary drinks and free food.

Mingle with other art lovers and make new acquaintances. The museum currently houses Florida’s only Egyptian gallery, and after a quick snack, one can explore rooms bursting with artifacts ranging from a child’s sarcophagus to several amazing examples of Egyptian statuary, canopic jars, stela fragments and pottery.

Even though two hours is hardly enough to see it all, they’re hours well-spent. Whether getting deliciously free fish tacos, walking around the exhibits, sipping a glass of wine or dancing in the terrace, there are plenty of things to do. The atmosphere is trendy and mellow. Relax and spend a lovely Friday night soaking up some culture.

IF YOU GO
Where: 2100 Collins ave.
(between 21st and 22nd streets)
When: Friday, 8 to 10 p.m.
Contact: bassmuseum.org

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane.com

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...