Night at the museum

Courtesy Flickr

If you’re looking for drinks and dance music, skip the Grove and check out Bass Art Museum’s beats after sunset. The first Friday of every month from 8 to 10 p.m. the Bass Museum of Art opens its terrace for a night full of music, food, drinks and of course, breathtaking art.

The Bass Art Museum was founded in 1963 through the donations of John and Johanna Bass. The collection began with 500 works, mostly European paintings. Currently, the museum has more than 3,000 works from all over the world, not to mention a great location and a terrace with the best view Miami Beach has to offer.

The first thing one encounters when going to the terrace is the pumping sound of house music that energizes and lifts spirits. There is a long table filled with snacks and a bartender who will make any drink you can imagine.

The entrance is $8 for non-members and free with membership, a good price considering one gets complete access to current exhibitions in addition to the benefits of a live DJ, complimentary drinks and free food.

Mingle with other art lovers and make new acquaintances. The museum currently houses Florida’s only Egyptian gallery, and after a quick snack, one can explore rooms bursting with artifacts ranging from a child’s sarcophagus to several amazing examples of Egyptian statuary, canopic jars, stela fragments and pottery.

Even though two hours is hardly enough to see it all, they’re hours well-spent. Whether getting deliciously free fish tacos, walking around the exhibits, sipping a glass of wine or dancing in the terrace, there are plenty of things to do. The atmosphere is trendy and mellow. Relax and spend a lovely Friday night soaking up some culture.

IF YOU GO
Where: 2100 Collins ave.
(between 21st and 22nd streets)
When: Friday, 8 to 10 p.m.
Contact: bassmuseum.org

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane.com

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded the 2017 season ranked No. 25 in the country, as announ ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2017 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 25-27 at the U ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...