Night at the museum

Courtesy Flickr

If you’re looking for drinks and dance music, skip the Grove and check out Bass Art Museum’s beats after sunset. The first Friday of every month from 8 to 10 p.m. the Bass Museum of Art opens its terrace for a night full of music, food, drinks and of course, breathtaking art.

The Bass Art Museum was founded in 1963 through the donations of John and Johanna Bass. The collection began with 500 works, mostly European paintings. Currently, the museum has more than 3,000 works from all over the world, not to mention a great location and a terrace with the best view Miami Beach has to offer.

The first thing one encounters when going to the terrace is the pumping sound of house music that energizes and lifts spirits. There is a long table filled with snacks and a bartender who will make any drink you can imagine.

The entrance is $8 for non-members and free with membership, a good price considering one gets complete access to current exhibitions in addition to the benefits of a live DJ, complimentary drinks and free food.

Mingle with other art lovers and make new acquaintances. The museum currently houses Florida’s only Egyptian gallery, and after a quick snack, one can explore rooms bursting with artifacts ranging from a child’s sarcophagus to several amazing examples of Egyptian statuary, canopic jars, stela fragments and pottery.

Even though two hours is hardly enough to see it all, they’re hours well-spent. Whether getting deliciously free fish tacos, walking around the exhibits, sipping a glass of wine or dancing in the terrace, there are plenty of things to do. The atmosphere is trendy and mellow. Relax and spend a lovely Friday night soaking up some culture.

IF YOU GO
Where: 2100 Collins ave.
(between 21st and 22nd streets)
When: Friday, 8 to 10 p.m.
Contact: bassmuseum.org

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane.com

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...