Matisyahu’s new beats continue to prove his talent

courtesy zimbio.com

“Live at Stubb’s Vol. II” is a return to form and a nostalgia-tinged throwback for Matisyahu, the world-

famous (and sometimes infamous) Hasidic reggae artists. It seems like being an avid Matisyahu fan is a
rite of passage for Jewish young adults across the nation: first the Bar Mitzvah, then Matisyahu fandom,
and then Birthright Israel.
Matisyahu is the rare artist who seems to shine in live performances rather than on the album tracks
themselves. “Live at Stubb’s, Vol. I” may have been the most decisive factor in Matiyshau’s meteoric rise
a few years ago – first he was an underground favorite, then he was a breakout success, and then he
became the musical mascot of every Hillel group across America.
Matisyahu, however, is undeniably talented. Perhaps one has to be a little open-minded to accept so
much Judaic philosophy in reggae music, but one should also remember that reggae and Rastafarianism
are normally inseparable ideas. Sometimes the whole concept of an orthodox reggae artist seems like a
bit of a gimmick, but Matisyahu somehow makes it work to his advantage.
The best track on “Live at Stubb’s, Vol. II” is “Youth,” which was the best track on the 2006 album of
the same title. There are no real problem songs on the album, and while many tracks on the CD sound
similar, this does not pose any real disadvantage. Matisyahu is still a phenomenally talented artist, and if
anything, “Live at Stubb’s, Vol. II” proves that readers should do whatever necessary to get their hands
on a ticket for this Thursday’s performance.
Rating: 3/4 stars
Release Date: Feb. 1, 2011
Label: MRI Associated Labels

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...