Baseball, Sports

Man’s best friend enjoys pasttime

Princess Poodle sits in cane cheer outfit next to owner, Diane Haws. She says that "her son couldn't make it to the game tonight so Princess got to have his seat all to herself." Sagette Van Embden//The Miami Hurricane

Alex Rodriguez Park allowed a different breed of fans at the game against Illinois State Tuesday night.

This was the first year that the UM athletic marketing department has held a “Bark in the Park” night, when fans were invited to bring their dogs to the game, similar to events held by the Florida Marlins.

It was such a success that they are looking to repeat the event next year. The purpose behind the night was to promote Hurricane baseball to the whole community, including furry four-legged fans.

“I love coming to all the baseball games, but it was cool to switch it up today and bring my dogs,” said Anthony Perez, a UM law student, who brought his dogs, Lulu and Napoleon.

The Humane Society and PetSmart sponsored the night. PetSmart provided attendees and their puppies with the proper dog necessities such as pooper-scoopers, poop bags and water bowls. The fluffy friends were also given dog treats and toys.

The Humane Society even brought along a few of their own dogs to the event, which were up for adoption.

“The only reason I came to the game tonight was to see the puppies,” Samantha Stonish said. “I love puppies; I almost took one home with me.”

The baseball administration were happy with the outcome of the event.

“I was very impressed by the turnout,” said Barbara Blocker, an intern to the assistant director of athletics marketing. “We hope to see more dogs join us at the park next year.”

Michelle Salom may be contacted at msalom@themiamihurricane.com.

Michelle Salom