Don’t limit classes too early, think outside of your major

I entered college with the ambition of majoring in journalism. I figured out by my senior year of high school that any career involving math or science was completely out of the picture.

Then there was the possibility of being a teacher, but after long consideration, I knew I didn’t have the patience for teaching rambunctious 5 year olds or angsty teenagers. So that left journalism as an option. I have always enjoyed writing and, if you know me, you know I could talk for days.

Though I have no regrets about pursuing a career in journalism and sports, I often wonder where I would be if I came to college with no clue as to what I wanted to do. I have several friends approaching their junior and even senior year who are still trying to place themselves in the right area of study. To be honest, I find those people lucky.

No matter how annoyed those who have no directional idea about a future may be, I would like them to consider this: When you are still trying to find a direction, explore a large mix of classes.

Typically, undeclared majors are put into the College of Arts and Sciences here at UM. There are so many classes at the introductory level that can give you a taste of where your future should go.

Maybe you have always enjoyed eating healthy and exercising. I suggest taking a nutrition class. The intro level course is KIN 150. It is relatively easy and Dr. Smith makes it captivating, informative and applicable to everyday life.

Did you act in high school or have you ever wanted to explore your acting abilities? THA 105 is an entertaining class that will push you to your limits and help you learn what it really means to act. There are many wonderful professors in the theater department- why not try it out?

What about criminal justice? There are several professions and levels of interest in the area of criminal justice. UM has a great sociology department and will help you explore your abilities to decipher people’s personalities and give you a better understanding of those working to protect you every day.

As my junior year comes to a close and I think about the fact that I have only one year left at UM, I wish I had taken a bigger variety of classes.

Though it’s doubtful my major would have changed, I could have learned other life skills and possibly found new interests that would have benefitted my writing and broadcasting career.

So I leave you with my final suggestion to continuously try new things. If you are unsure, UM gives plenty of opportunities to learn, it is just a matter of thinking outside the box and actually trying something out. Who knows? Maybe you’ll surprise yourself.

Jenny Hamilton is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and sports administration. She may be contacted at jhamilton@themiamihurricane.com.

Jenny Hamilton

Contributing Columnist

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...