‘WallCasts’ move classical music to center stage

Jeff Wolf, Richard Freedberg and Zulay Ortiz watch The New World Symphony as it presents it's first Wallcast of a live performance broadcast on a 7,000 square foot wall on the buildings facade, January 28, 2011 on Miami Beach. Courtesy Al Diaz, Miami Herald

As you approach Washington and 17th, you can hear the faint sounds of the flutes and the cellos amid the buzzing night crowd of Miami Beach. As you near the new 2.5-acre SoundScape Park, you can see hundreds of people gathered on picnic blankets to listen to the angelic and flawless New World Symphony in the most untraditional way.

Seeking to expand their audience and reach out to the community of South Florida, the New World Symphony hired Pritzker Prize-winning architect Frank Gehry to design a building and park that would attract hundreds of people to the spectacle known as “WallCasted” live performances.

Projected alongside the 7,000 square-foot building, the live performances of the America’s Orchestral Academy are projected through high-definition technology. The music can be heard for blocks. The New World Center, which cost $160 million to build, has created quite a buzz in Miami Beach as crowds are eager to partake in this new experience.

Though classical music may not be for everyone, the event is definitely enjoyable as you socialize with those around you. The best part? It’s absolutely free. Nothing is required of you other than your presence and willingness to sit on the floor. Just a block from Lincoln Road, it’s the perfect date night, particularly if you’re trying to save money or if you’re just looking to have a fun night out with your friends.

Under the artistic direction of Grammy award-winning composer Michael Tilson Thomas, New World Symphony’s America’s Orchestral Academy is a team of highly skilled and talented musicians, carefully selected and trained to play classical music nearly perfectly.

The next “WallCast” performance will be held on March 26 at 7:30 p.m. Information regarding the event can be found at nws.edu/Wallcasts.aspx.

Edyna Garcia may be contacted at egarcia@themiamihurricane.com.

Edyna Garcia

Contributing EDGE Writer

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...