‘WallCasts’ move classical music to center stage

Jeff Wolf, Richard Freedberg and Zulay Ortiz watch The New World Symphony as it presents it's first Wallcast of a live performance broadcast on a 7,000 square foot wall on the buildings facade, January 28, 2011 on Miami Beach. Courtesy Al Diaz, Miami Herald

As you approach Washington and 17th, you can hear the faint sounds of the flutes and the cellos amid the buzzing night crowd of Miami Beach. As you near the new 2.5-acre SoundScape Park, you can see hundreds of people gathered on picnic blankets to listen to the angelic and flawless New World Symphony in the most untraditional way.

Seeking to expand their audience and reach out to the community of South Florida, the New World Symphony hired Pritzker Prize-winning architect Frank Gehry to design a building and park that would attract hundreds of people to the spectacle known as “WallCasted” live performances.

Projected alongside the 7,000 square-foot building, the live performances of the America’s Orchestral Academy are projected through high-definition technology. The music can be heard for blocks. The New World Center, which cost $160 million to build, has created quite a buzz in Miami Beach as crowds are eager to partake in this new experience.

Though classical music may not be for everyone, the event is definitely enjoyable as you socialize with those around you. The best part? It’s absolutely free. Nothing is required of you other than your presence and willingness to sit on the floor. Just a block from Lincoln Road, it’s the perfect date night, particularly if you’re trying to save money or if you’re just looking to have a fun night out with your friends.

Under the artistic direction of Grammy award-winning composer Michael Tilson Thomas, New World Symphony’s America’s Orchestral Academy is a team of highly skilled and talented musicians, carefully selected and trained to play classical music nearly perfectly.

The next “WallCast” performance will be held on March 26 at 7:30 p.m. Information regarding the event can be found at nws.edu/Wallcasts.aspx.

Edyna Garcia may be contacted at egarcia@themiamihurricane.com.

Edyna Garcia

Contributing EDGE Writer

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...