‘WallCasts’ move classical music to center stage

Jeff Wolf, Richard Freedberg and Zulay Ortiz watch The New World Symphony as it presents it's first Wallcast of a live performance broadcast on a 7,000 square foot wall on the buildings facade, January 28, 2011 on Miami Beach. Courtesy Al Diaz, Miami Herald

As you approach Washington and 17th, you can hear the faint sounds of the flutes and the cellos amid the buzzing night crowd of Miami Beach. As you near the new 2.5-acre SoundScape Park, you can see hundreds of people gathered on picnic blankets to listen to the angelic and flawless New World Symphony in the most untraditional way.

Seeking to expand their audience and reach out to the community of South Florida, the New World Symphony hired Pritzker Prize-winning architect Frank Gehry to design a building and park that would attract hundreds of people to the spectacle known as “WallCasted” live performances.

Projected alongside the 7,000 square-foot building, the live performances of the America’s Orchestral Academy are projected through high-definition technology. The music can be heard for blocks. The New World Center, which cost $160 million to build, has created quite a buzz in Miami Beach as crowds are eager to partake in this new experience.

Though classical music may not be for everyone, the event is definitely enjoyable as you socialize with those around you. The best part? It’s absolutely free. Nothing is required of you other than your presence and willingness to sit on the floor. Just a block from Lincoln Road, it’s the perfect date night, particularly if you’re trying to save money or if you’re just looking to have a fun night out with your friends.

Under the artistic direction of Grammy award-winning composer Michael Tilson Thomas, New World Symphony’s America’s Orchestral Academy is a team of highly skilled and talented musicians, carefully selected and trained to play classical music nearly perfectly.

The next “WallCast” performance will be held on March 26 at 7:30 p.m. Information regarding the event can be found at nws.edu/Wallcasts.aspx.

Edyna Garcia may be contacted at egarcia@themiamihurricane.com.

Edyna Garcia

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...