News briefs 3/7

Organize your community

The Direct Action & Research Training (DART) Center will be at the University of Miami Monday to discuss career options for students in community organizing. Students interested in empowering their communities and working for social justice can meet in University Center Room 241 at 5:30 p.m. to see how they can bring about social change.

International Law Programs

The Miami Law Lecture Series is hosting Professor Karl-Heinz Bockstiegel, Professor Emeritus at the University of Cologne in Germany, at a lecture titled “Suggestions for Preparing and Conducting a Hearing in International Arbitration.” The event will take place Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. in the Reading Room (Law Library) D201.

Joint Degree Program Offered

The University of Miami School of Law is now offering a joint degree program in Law and Communications, the first interdisciplinary program at the University of Miami that will allow students to earn a J.D. and an M.A. in communication in less than three and a half years.

In this program, a law student can choose from three different M.A. programs within the School of Communication: journalism, public relations, and communications studies. The program will allow nine J.D. credits to be applied to the M.A. degree and six M.A. credits to be applied to the J.D. degree, saving the student 15 credits between the two programs.

Currently enrolled students can apply for the joint program by submitting a personal statement to sabraham@law.miami.edu. Applications are due April 1.

Last week for COSO applications

The Committee on Sudent Organizations (COSO) is now accepting applications for the 2011-2012 school year. Applications are due at the Smith Tucker Involvement Center at 5 p.m. on Friday. For more information, visit miami.edu/coso.

Compiled by Alexandra Leon who may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...