WVUM wins Woodie

(From left to right) Bobby Goldfin, Aleah McGehee, Michael Matthiesen, Amber Robertson, Duncan Ross, and Dustin Doint celebrate after WVUM "The Voice" wins the 2011 mtvU College Radio Woodie. Courtesy WVUM

The Voice is sounding out nationally.

WVUM ‘The Voice,’ University of Miami’s student-run radio station, won the 2011 mtvU College Radio Woodie Thursday for the first time since its creation in 1967.

“It’s pretty surreal,” said Mike Diaz, the station’s office manager.

The award comes on the heels of major effort to revamp the station.

“Last year was a huge year as far as changing the station,” said Amber Robertson, the general manager.  “The Web site was redone, we’ve done better programming, brought a lot more DJs on staff.”

This was the first year the station had ever participated in the national contest. Robertson credits the win to a huge effort to get out the vote.

“I had never even heard about it till this year,” she said. “Every DJ mentioned it at every break. We did a huge voting party. Ultra gave us a ticket to give away. It was for the best dance moves while voting.”

Winning the award has several implications for the station.

“It’s a tough time for college radio,” said Andrew Spears, a DJ for the station. “Colleges are cutting programs. Getting this award, we have a certain amount of good will.”

The station also hopes to use the win to generate more sponsorships and money.

“We can sell this to people in the community and to large national corporations,” Diaz said. “It feels like a lot of pressure cause everyone expects it to translate to more money and projects.”

The Federal Communications Commission recently approved the station for an increase in signal strength. This will allow the station to broadcast out 30 miles. However, the station cannot currently afford the upgrade.

“We need more money so we can get the signal,” Diaz said. “If we don’t get it by the deadline, someone else will and we’ll never be able to get it again after that.”

The station is also looking to purchase Wide Orbit, a new music system that would replace their current iTunes system.

“We have a lot of technical difficulties this program would solve,” Robertson said. “It’s a whole new set-up. All professional radios have this, so why can’t we?”

But for the time being, the station is simply relishing the victory.

“It’s great cause we go out of our way to make a more eclectic playlist,” said Spears. “People do find what we do interesting. We could not have done without the Miami community at large.”

The 2011 mtvU Woodies Awards will be airing on March 16 at 12 a.m. on MTV, MTV2 and mtvU.

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “WVUM wins Woodie”

1. Bill Woodier says:

And….it can be found at 90.5 FM!

2. Chris Groves says:

I’ve been an avid listener of WVUM since I was at UM in the mid 1990’s (I even guest hosted in the wee hours of the night with friends). I think its great that The Voice won some recognition; however, the way this award is set up, it’s not based on the quality of the DJs or the programming. It’s a button-pushing popularity contest, similar to American Idol. I’d love to see WVUM and it’s staff win more awards, from associations like IBS or CMJ to go along with this and hope that they will continue to put the name out there.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...