“Week of Cuban Culture” with FEC

From dominoes to croquettes to salsa music, homegrown Cuban culture will shake things up on campus this week.

The Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) will be hosting a “Week of Cuban Culture.” The purpose of this week’s events is to promote awareness of the Cuban culture on campus and in the surrounding community. In addition, FEC hopes to inform students of the impact Cubans have on their everyday life.

The week kicked off with The Jose Marti Day of Service on Saturday.

“We focused a lot on our community service day,” said Bibi Moghani, the FEC cultural chair. “We decided to have more kids, reach out to more schools and also put an educational aspect to it.”

The day of service involved working with local third, fourth and fifth graders from various ethnicities who share a common interest in Cuban culture. It included a field day and educational activities.

The week continues with a “Discover Cuba” event on Wednesday at noon on the Rock, which will include a paella cooking  demonstration and a tasting afterward. FEC hopes their events this week will attract students from a variety of backgrounds, like Moghani who is of German and Iranian decent.

“We always have free food not only to attract students but because food and music are a huge part of our culture,” said Mauricio Abascal, President of FEC. “It’s just the bait to get students to attend and then they have a chance to learn more about the different aspects of our culture.”

To showcase Cuban art and history, the group will guide students to the Cuban Heritage Collection in the Richter Library and the Lowe Art Museum to view the work of Cuban artist Rafael Soriano. Many student leaders will model Cuban guayaberas, a traditional men’s button-down shirt with pockets, popular in Latin America and the Caribbean.

Mikayla Vielot may be contacted at mvielot@themiamihurricane.com.

Mikayla Vielot

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...