“Take Me Home Tonight” movie review

Grand theft auto, a bundle of cocaine, a trip downhill in a deadly metal ball and Wang Chung are just a few of the highlights of “Take Me Home Tonight.”

Although it takes place in the ‘80s, “Take Me Home Tonight” is more of a coming-of-age comedy than a parody of the time of shoulder pads and the “Safety Dance.”

You probably remember Topher Grace from his role as Eric Forman on “That ‘70s Show.” Grace goes back in time once again as a producer and actor for “Take Me Home Tonight.” Grace plays Matt Franklin, an aimless MIT graduate working at Suncoast Video. Matt lives in the past, scared of what the future holds.

After bumping into his high school crush, Tori Frederking (Teresa Palmer), he decides to finally take charge of his life and make a move on Tori at a party his twin sister’s boyfriend is throwing. Joined by his chubby sidekick, Barry (Dan Fogler), Matt embarks on an adventure he will never forget.

Amidst the crazy escapades, “Take Me Home Tonight” proves to be surprisingly funny. Fogler’s attempt at a threesome and snorting a line of cocaine, along with Topher’s witty lines, make the movie edgy yet hysterical.

The characters are relatable and likeable; not to mention, Grace and Palmer have definite chemistry, which makes the plot that much more enjoyable. It definitely exceeds the expectations the trailer sets.

Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Starring: Topher Grace, Teresa Palmer, Dan Fogler, Anna Faris

Directed By: Michael Dowse

MPAA Rating: R

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...