“Take Me Home Tonight” movie review

Grand theft auto, a bundle of cocaine, a trip downhill in a deadly metal ball and Wang Chung are just a few of the highlights of “Take Me Home Tonight.”

Although it takes place in the ‘80s, “Take Me Home Tonight” is more of a coming-of-age comedy than a parody of the time of shoulder pads and the “Safety Dance.”

You probably remember Topher Grace from his role as Eric Forman on “That ‘70s Show.” Grace goes back in time once again as a producer and actor for “Take Me Home Tonight.” Grace plays Matt Franklin, an aimless MIT graduate working at Suncoast Video. Matt lives in the past, scared of what the future holds.

After bumping into his high school crush, Tori Frederking (Teresa Palmer), he decides to finally take charge of his life and make a move on Tori at a party his twin sister’s boyfriend is throwing. Joined by his chubby sidekick, Barry (Dan Fogler), Matt embarks on an adventure he will never forget.

Amidst the crazy escapades, “Take Me Home Tonight” proves to be surprisingly funny. Fogler’s attempt at a threesome and snorting a line of cocaine, along with Topher’s witty lines, make the movie edgy yet hysterical.

The characters are relatable and likeable; not to mention, Grace and Palmer have definite chemistry, which makes the plot that much more enjoyable. It definitely exceeds the expectations the trailer sets.

Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Starring: Topher Grace, Teresa Palmer, Dan Fogler, Anna Faris

Directed By: Michael Dowse

MPAA Rating: R

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...