“Take Me Home Tonight” movie review

Grand theft auto, a bundle of cocaine, a trip downhill in a deadly metal ball and Wang Chung are just a few of the highlights of “Take Me Home Tonight.”

Although it takes place in the ‘80s, “Take Me Home Tonight” is more of a coming-of-age comedy than a parody of the time of shoulder pads and the “Safety Dance.”

You probably remember Topher Grace from his role as Eric Forman on “That ‘70s Show.” Grace goes back in time once again as a producer and actor for “Take Me Home Tonight.” Grace plays Matt Franklin, an aimless MIT graduate working at Suncoast Video. Matt lives in the past, scared of what the future holds.

After bumping into his high school crush, Tori Frederking (Teresa Palmer), he decides to finally take charge of his life and make a move on Tori at a party his twin sister’s boyfriend is throwing. Joined by his chubby sidekick, Barry (Dan Fogler), Matt embarks on an adventure he will never forget.

Amidst the crazy escapades, “Take Me Home Tonight” proves to be surprisingly funny. Fogler’s attempt at a threesome and snorting a line of cocaine, along with Topher’s witty lines, make the movie edgy yet hysterical.

The characters are relatable and likeable; not to mention, Grace and Palmer have definite chemistry, which makes the plot that much more enjoyable. It definitely exceeds the expectations the trailer sets.

Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Starring: Topher Grace, Teresa Palmer, Dan Fogler, Anna Faris

Directed By: Michael Dowse

MPAA Rating: R

About Author

Nicky Diaz Copy Chief

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...