“Take Me Home Tonight” movie review

Grand theft auto, a bundle of cocaine, a trip downhill in a deadly metal ball and Wang Chung are just a few of the highlights of “Take Me Home Tonight.”

Although it takes place in the ‘80s, “Take Me Home Tonight” is more of a coming-of-age comedy than a parody of the time of shoulder pads and the “Safety Dance.”

You probably remember Topher Grace from his role as Eric Forman on “That ‘70s Show.” Grace goes back in time once again as a producer and actor for “Take Me Home Tonight.” Grace plays Matt Franklin, an aimless MIT graduate working at Suncoast Video. Matt lives in the past, scared of what the future holds.

After bumping into his high school crush, Tori Frederking (Teresa Palmer), he decides to finally take charge of his life and make a move on Tori at a party his twin sister’s boyfriend is throwing. Joined by his chubby sidekick, Barry (Dan Fogler), Matt embarks on an adventure he will never forget.

Amidst the crazy escapades, “Take Me Home Tonight” proves to be surprisingly funny. Fogler’s attempt at a threesome and snorting a line of cocaine, along with Topher’s witty lines, make the movie edgy yet hysterical.

The characters are relatable and likeable; not to mention, Grace and Palmer have definite chemistry, which makes the plot that much more enjoyable. It definitely exceeds the expectations the trailer sets.

Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Starring: Topher Grace, Teresa Palmer, Dan Fogler, Anna Faris

Directed By: Michael Dowse

MPAA Rating: R

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...