“Take Me Home Tonight” movie review

Grand theft auto, a bundle of cocaine, a trip downhill in a deadly metal ball and Wang Chung are just a few of the highlights of “Take Me Home Tonight.”

Although it takes place in the ‘80s, “Take Me Home Tonight” is more of a coming-of-age comedy than a parody of the time of shoulder pads and the “Safety Dance.”

You probably remember Topher Grace from his role as Eric Forman on “That ‘70s Show.” Grace goes back in time once again as a producer and actor for “Take Me Home Tonight.” Grace plays Matt Franklin, an aimless MIT graduate working at Suncoast Video. Matt lives in the past, scared of what the future holds.

After bumping into his high school crush, Tori Frederking (Teresa Palmer), he decides to finally take charge of his life and make a move on Tori at a party his twin sister’s boyfriend is throwing. Joined by his chubby sidekick, Barry (Dan Fogler), Matt embarks on an adventure he will never forget.

Amidst the crazy escapades, “Take Me Home Tonight” proves to be surprisingly funny. Fogler’s attempt at a threesome and snorting a line of cocaine, along with Topher’s witty lines, make the movie edgy yet hysterical.

The characters are relatable and likeable; not to mention, Grace and Palmer have definite chemistry, which makes the plot that much more enjoyable. It definitely exceeds the expectations the trailer sets.

Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Starring: Topher Grace, Teresa Palmer, Dan Fogler, Anna Faris

Directed By: Michael Dowse

MPAA Rating: R

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...