3

6 March 2011

Males fall behind, stuck in pre-adulthood

Where have all the good men gone? Every girl has asked herself this question at some point or another. It seems like it’s taking longer and longer for boys to become men these days.

Many men in their 20s are stagnant in a new stage of human development called pre-adulthood, or lengthened adolescence. This is not the case with everyone, but there are enough boys falling into this category to make it a phenomenon.

Among today’s pre-adults, women are not only graduating from college in greater numbers, but also have higher GPAs than men. According to a recent article in The Wall Street Journal, women are more likely than men to succeed in graduate school and the workplace.

While women are busy working their way up in this competitive economy, getting married and having children right out of college has become optional and less common. Many are left wondering, “where are all the good guys?”

Generally, sociologists define adulthood with five milestones: finishing school, leaving home, becoming financially independent, getting married and having children. In the past, the average American male in his 20s would have surpassed what we would generally call “adulthood.” However, today the transition to adulthood is happening later than ever.

In colleges filled with overconfident frat boys, socially awkward nerds and apathetic slackers, it’s no wonder why women are more academically successful than men. Rather than focusing on personal growth, today’s pre-adult males are more interested in immature fart jokes, playing Call of Duty all day and quoting Will Ferrell.

What happened to the positive male qualities like courage, patience and fidelity? It seems as if the old role of men has become extinct and the new role is just plain embarrassing. It sure as hell isn’t a turn on and doesn’t bring the best out of men.

Ladies, don’t waste your time on these boys. It takes time and patience to find someone you can respect and open your heart to that doesn’t drive you up a wall. Guys, grow up. Until then, we’re holding out for a hero.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

3 thoughts on “Males fall behind, stuck in pre-adulthood

1. There is no reason why men should act the way you want them to. I don’t want to provide for a woman. I don’t want to get married. I don’t want to be a parent. I won’t protect anyone. I’ve grown up seeing what happens to men in this society. Commitment is a liability for men. Marriage is no more than a tool for transering wealth from men to women. A family now consists of a woman and her children. A father’s position is now superfluous. In essence it only consists of sperm donar, wage slave and occasional babysitter. There is nothing for me there. I reject the role that people have constructed for me.

What have I to gain by being the “real man” that I am told I should be? There is nothing to gain! Nothing at all, besides liabilities. So I turn around and walk away. This is self-preservation.

As far as it concerns me, I don’t exist in this society. I am enveloped by the world that I have rejected but I am not a part of it. I have rejected it completely.

2. haha. i love how you try to rationalize things. just like Kay Hymowitz, you don’t get it, do you.

where have all the good men gone? have you ever bothered asking.. *gasp* men themselves..?

You see all these guys who are happy being around their friends, but you cannot have that can you. the fact that you have to shame men into “hero’s” is really sad. without trying to find a reason behind all this “phenomena” you, like so many others, just jump on the band wagon, and tell us guys to Man Up (as if you know what’s going on)

WHY SHOULD WE?

We as men, are liberated by the shackles of our traditional role thanks to Feminism. we no longer need to find a mate to marry. we no longer need to strive to “Protect” our women. thanks to feminist’s equality, chivalry is out the window.. we no longer have the need for lifelong monogamous relationships as women of today, practice promiscuity, as her body is her own (as the saying goes). not that it’s a bad thing, it’s awesome actually.

these things shine out more, just like radicals outshine their more peaceful liberal counterparts.. that being said, the rampant sex culture is what all the good guys see. and guess what, it disgusts us. so what do we do? most take advantage and get some(as should all of us), while others remain with other companies of men.

there is no need for a Man to be responsible other than to himself (as of any woman too).

The fact that you resort to shaming men, is the very reason why young men like myself, prefer to be with other the boys, play games, sports, automobile… and keep our gf’s with a ten foot pole. as if our mothers and aunts haven’t already been banging on our heads that men=bad, woman=good.. we’ve been lambasted with this message our entire lives.

afterall, men are mysoginistic, lying, stupid pigs..

immature, childish & cheat on their spouses..

WE GET IT! now you blame us for preferring these less dramatic things when in fact we are doing you a favour by NOT being with you (and turn into all these nasty things people say about men), or being upfront about NOT wanting a relationship and keeping it casual (just sex)..

but of course, if you are not happy with this arrangement, you can Cry RAPE and put his ass in JAIL. all you have to do is say the word, and you’d ruin a man’s life (even if he was playing games at the time you say you were raped). or maybe a less provocative method, say “baby-rape” him into submission, and demand stuff. in case it doesn’t work out, you can get divorced (if you’re married), dont worry, you’ll get custody of the kid. take half of everything, then take most of his money for child support, alimony, and leave his ass off with about 30 percent of his pay. claim domestic abuse while your at it! judges love that. don’t worry, they’ll claim his drivers license, so he couldn’t drive his car to make a living. that way, he’d be broke, and once he’s behind payment, guess what! he’ll be in JAIL again. not to mention the money spent on divorce, (he has to pay for ur attorney too), he’s ass will be served to you on a silver platter. you can pull this off, blind folded, AND having another man’s baby. that’s how easy it is..

no thank you, i’l take the games, the guys, and porn any time.. also will ferrell’s fart jokes.