Males fall behind, stuck in pre-adulthood

Where have all the good men gone? Every girl has asked herself this question at some point or another. It seems like it’s taking longer and longer for boys to become men these days.

Many men in their 20s are stagnant in a new stage of human development called pre-adulthood, or lengthened adolescence. This is not the case with everyone, but there are enough boys falling into this category to make it a phenomenon.

Among today’s pre-adults, women are not only graduating from college in greater numbers, but also have higher GPAs than men. According to a recent article in The Wall Street Journal, women are more likely than men to succeed in graduate school and the workplace.

While women are busy working their way up in this competitive economy, getting married and having children right out of college has become optional and less common. Many are left wondering, “where are all the good guys?”

Generally, sociologists define adulthood with five milestones: finishing school, leaving home, becoming financially independent, getting married and having children. In the past, the average American male in his 20s would have surpassed what we would generally call “adulthood.” However, today the transition to adulthood is happening later than ever.

In colleges filled with overconfident frat boys, socially awkward nerds and apathetic slackers, it’s no wonder why women are more academically successful than men. Rather than focusing on personal growth, today’s pre-adult males are more interested in immature fart jokes, playing Call of Duty all day and quoting Will Ferrell.

What happened to the positive male qualities like courage, patience and fidelity? It seems as if the old role of men has become extinct and the new role is just plain embarrassing. It sure as hell isn’t a turn on and doesn’t bring the best out of men.

Ladies, don’t waste your time on these boys. It takes time and patience to find someone you can respect and open your heart to that doesn’t drive you up a wall. Guys, grow up. Until then, we’re holding out for a hero.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...