Environmental action group coming to UM

Susana Marin and Sean Ahearn have I.D.E.A.S. to spread around campus.

Intellectual Decisions on Environmental Awareness Solutions (I.D.E.A.S.) is a new non-profit organization at the University of Miami that Marin said aims to “create proactive university and community groups which work towards addressing local, regional and national environmental challenges, while finding realistic solutions to combat issues we face today.”

The group began in South Florida at Florida International University, but Marin and Ahearn have aspirations of making I.D.E.A.S an official UM student organization.

Marin and Ahearn have a clear idea for where they want the UM group to go.

“Sean and I have many goals for I.D.E.A.S., but our main focus is to create greener minds for tomorrow,” Marin said.

Ahearn stressed that global warming is a real issue and that the environment must be kept at equilibrium.

“More awareness education and positive reinforcement leads to people with better habits for the Earth,” Ahearn said.

Marin and Ahearn also want club members to be active in helping environmental causes, including a healthy dose of volunteer work at beach and sandbar clean-ups or by supporting programs such as the Kill-A-Watt energy efficiency project in the University Village.

The club, which recently presented its constitution to COSO, has rough plans to meet in the Copernicus Observatory on top of Ungar building. At least 30 students are already jumping on board with I.D.E.A.S. and even more are expected to join after COSO gives it final approval.

Freshman Jeremy Upsal is a concerned student who likes the idea of I.D.E.A.S.

“Our Earth is an important place and we must preserve it,” Upsal said.

For more information about I.D.E.A.S., contact Marin at s.marin2@umiami.edu.

Manuel Centurion may be contacted at mcenturion@themiamihurricane.com.

Manuel Centurion

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...