Breslin, 15, voice of mouse in “Rango”

Courtesy Nick Maslow

One of the youngest actresses to ever be nominated for an Academy Award sits patiently in front of a camera crew in the Downtown Miami Four Seasons. But as the unknowing antithesis to the starlet cliche, Abigail Breslin exudes less of a Hollywood air than a 15 year old you’d meet at an outlet mall.

This weekend, the actress’ voice returns to movie theaters in “Rango,” an animated western starring Johnny Depp. With equal parts comedy and drama, “Rango” is the tale of a chameleon struggling to save a small town’s limited water resources.

The Miami Hurricane recently sat down with Breslin to discuss her career and latest role.

The Miami Hurricane: Most 15-year-olds are in school today. You’re here at the Four Seasons in downtown Miami doing interviews for what’s sure to be another Hollywood blockbuster. A lot of people are envious of that, I’m sure. But is it ever tough on you?

Abigail Breslin: First of all, I’m still in school. I do online high school; algebra- not my favorite thing. But everybody has been very nice. I’m just having a good time with it. I’m very excited for “Rango” to come out.

TMH: You’ve experimented with every medium from film to the stage. What is the most challenging for you?

AB: Probably the stage just because it’s live and you don’t have time to re-do it. The character that I played on Broadway, Helen Keller, is such a physically demanding [role]but also emotional.

TMH: Tell us about Priscilla, your character in Rango.

AB: She’s a very, sort of morbid, dry, strange, little mouse. She’s very doubtful of Rango to begin with, and then they form a strange little friendship.

TMH: I’m so curious about how you guys made the film. When you watch it, it looks like all of the action emulates normal human interaction.

AB: Yeah, exactly. We filmed it together, on a stage. It was actually like we were acting off of each other like in a movie and then they just animated it. [They] sort of took our emotions and applied it to that, so that’s what is so great about it.

TMH: Johnny Depp is a mysterious actor. What was it like working with him in that setting?

AB: He’s just a really nice guy. He was very sweet.

TMH: What’s your favorite performance in the movie- besides yourself?

AB: I think that all of the characters are very unique. Everybody did a really great job with their characters. They make me laugh.

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...