Graduate comes of age after a wild night

Courtesy impawards.com

The shoulder pads, excess materialism, dance music and drug use that defined the ‘80s come back to life in the comedy “Take Me Home Tonight.” Unlike period pieces that spoof the disco decade (remember Adam Sandler in “The Wedding Singer?”), “Take Me Home Tonight” explores the ‘80s with dignity, paying homage to the entertaining coming of age stories that made director John Hughes (“Pretty in Pink,” “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “The Breakfast Club”) a Hollywood legend.

The film tells the story of Matt Franklin (Topher Grace), a nerdy yet charming MIT graduate stuck living with his family and working at a video rental store. His luck, sobriety and sanity do a 180 during one wild night with his high school crush, Tori Frederking (Teresa Palmer).

The Miami Hurricane interviewed the co-stars during a recent stop in Miami.

The Miami Hurricane: The sex scenes are super hot. Did you guys feel into it? Were you in that moment?

Teresa Palmer: I was so in it. I don’t know about [Topher].

Topher Grace: Here’s what happened on the set. And this has only happened to me only a couple times. Teresa got a little unprofessional.

Palmer: I got a little carried away with myself.

Grace: A little handsy.

TMH: Teresa, out of all the men you’ve been with…

Palmer: Been with? What?

TMH: On camera. How does Topher compare?

Palmer:  I think he’s a close second to Daniel Radcliffe from “Harry Potter.”

Grace: Oh. Out of the two you’ve been with, I’m number two and Daniel Radcliffe is the first one?

Palmer: Um, no. There’s actually been a few more, buddy. I sort of had a makeout scene with Adam Sandler. It was just a little peck, but sorry.

Grace: Now I’m back to number three.

Palmer: Yeah, you’ve been bumped down a little. And Stephen Moyer from “True Blood.”

Grace: Oh my God, I am number four.

TMH: Topher, Anna Faris plays your sister in the movie. Her boyfriend is played by Chris Pratt, who is her husband in real life.

Palmer: Yes, they met on the movie!

Grace: He proposes to her in the film. It doesn’t go so well for that couple, but in real life [they]wound up getting married. In a lot of the [film]junkets, you say, ‘We were all really good friends.’ The truth is that’s not the truth most of the time. We all remained really close. I feel like when the cast is that good of friends… it bleeds into the movie.

To read or watch more of the interview, log on to themiamihurricane.com.

Nick Maslow may be contacted at nick@themiamihurricane.com.

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...