Winning design used for opera set

After a semester of diligent designing, senior Simone Meeks finally has the chance to bring her designs to life for the Albert Herring opera next week at the Frost School of Music.

Meeks is the second winner to have her stage set design develop through the Design/Build Program. This elective course offered by the School of Architecture is based on a competitive environment among the students to design and have the opportunity to build the winning piece.

“This is a program that demands a lot of initiative,” professor Jean-Francois Lejeune said. “The designs were developed and evaluated during the fall semester during the first portion of the Design/Build Program, and the winning piece is now being worked on by four students that are assisting Meeks in creating the stage sets.”

The second portion of the Design/Build program has given Meeks and the four students assisting her a lot of hands-on experience.

“We have to take many things into consideration- the precise measurements and the assembling of the pieces are some of the key things in having those sets ready on time,” Meeks said.

The location of the Albert Herring opera at Gusman Hall has also posed a challenge, since it hosts many different events throughout the semester, giving Meeks and the students a limited amount of time to evaluate the space where they will be placing the sets.

“We only have 24 hours to set up the sets before they are going to debut in the opera, so we try to help Simone throughout the entire process, including purchasing the materials needed to stay on budget,” said Fatima Almomen, Meeks’ classmate.

Meeks’ stage set for the opera implements recycled and borrowed materials to accomplish her design, including some furniture. The set will be constructed exclusively for the Albert Herring opera and the materials used will follow tradition and be recycled for future use in other School of Architecture projects.

Thania Potosme may be contacted at tpotosme@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

What: Albert Herring opera
Where: Gusman Hall, Frost School of Music
When: Thurs-Sat at  8 p.m., Sun at 3 p.m.
Cost: $20 general admission, $10 UM faculty and staff and $5 students and seniors

Thania Potosme

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...