COMIC CON makes its Miami debut

Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

A maze of booths and swarms of costumed fans occupied the Miami Airport Convention Center this weekend. Amid the professional wrestlers, remote-controlled R2-D2s and Renaissance crafters, the sense of unity was palpable- this was Comic Con.

Hundreds attended the first-ever Comic Con in Miami, organized by Wizard World. It was a prime venue for showcasing the viral comic culture. The new Miami comic convention focused on the sharing and distribution of creativity through comic books, graphic novels and pop culture. It is an event for publishers, dealers, exhibitors, creators and fans to share their interests and generally geek out.

The usual suspects were represented at the convention, including Marvel, DC and Dark Horse, but there were also underdog contenders present, such as the independent Hound Comics based out of New York. Hound Comics’ “Brimstone and the Borderhounds” panel featured the world premiere of its animated series, a counterpart to the comic.

In addition to the panels, guest celebrities, photo ops and truckloads of comicbook paraphernalia at the Miami Comic Con, there were also fan organizations present. Among them were R2 4Kids, an organization that gives back to the community through science fiction-related projects like recreating iconic staples such as the 1960s Batmobile and R2-D2 replicas.

Even if you aren’t currently mourning the death of Marvel’s Johnny Storm, “The Human Torch” of the Fantastic Four, Miami’s Comic Con was entertaining for all who love culture and the visual arts.

Jessica Hodder may be contacted at jhodder@themiamihurricane.com and Henry Potter may be contacted at hpotter@themiamihurricane.com.

Jessica Hodder

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...