COMIC CON makes its Miami debut

Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

A maze of booths and swarms of costumed fans occupied the Miami Airport Convention Center this weekend. Amid the professional wrestlers, remote-controlled R2-D2s and Renaissance crafters, the sense of unity was palpable- this was Comic Con.

Hundreds attended the first-ever Comic Con in Miami, organized by Wizard World. It was a prime venue for showcasing the viral comic culture. The new Miami comic convention focused on the sharing and distribution of creativity through comic books, graphic novels and pop culture. It is an event for publishers, dealers, exhibitors, creators and fans to share their interests and generally geek out.

The usual suspects were represented at the convention, including Marvel, DC and Dark Horse, but there were also underdog contenders present, such as the independent Hound Comics based out of New York. Hound Comics’ “Brimstone and the Borderhounds” panel featured the world premiere of its animated series, a counterpart to the comic.

In addition to the panels, guest celebrities, photo ops and truckloads of comicbook paraphernalia at the Miami Comic Con, there were also fan organizations present. Among them were R2 4Kids, an organization that gives back to the community through science fiction-related projects like recreating iconic staples such as the 1960s Batmobile and R2-D2 replicas.

Even if you aren’t currently mourning the death of Marvel’s Johnny Storm, “The Human Torch” of the Fantastic Four, Miami’s Comic Con was entertaining for all who love culture and the visual arts.

Jessica Hodder may be contacted at jhodder@themiamihurricane.com and Henry Potter may be contacted at hpotter@themiamihurricane.com.

Jessica Hodder

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...