COMIC CON makes its Miami debut

Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

A maze of booths and swarms of costumed fans occupied the Miami Airport Convention Center this weekend. Amid the professional wrestlers, remote-controlled R2-D2s and Renaissance crafters, the sense of unity was palpable- this was Comic Con.

Hundreds attended the first-ever Comic Con in Miami, organized by Wizard World. It was a prime venue for showcasing the viral comic culture. The new Miami comic convention focused on the sharing and distribution of creativity through comic books, graphic novels and pop culture. It is an event for publishers, dealers, exhibitors, creators and fans to share their interests and generally geek out.

The usual suspects were represented at the convention, including Marvel, DC and Dark Horse, but there were also underdog contenders present, such as the independent Hound Comics based out of New York. Hound Comics’ “Brimstone and the Borderhounds” panel featured the world premiere of its animated series, a counterpart to the comic.

In addition to the panels, guest celebrities, photo ops and truckloads of comicbook paraphernalia at the Miami Comic Con, there were also fan organizations present. Among them were R2 4Kids, an organization that gives back to the community through science fiction-related projects like recreating iconic staples such as the 1960s Batmobile and R2-D2 replicas.

Even if you aren’t currently mourning the death of Marvel’s Johnny Storm, “The Human Torch” of the Fantastic Four, Miami’s Comic Con was entertaining for all who love culture and the visual arts.

Jessica Hodder may be contacted at jhodder@themiamihurricane.com and Henry Potter may be contacted at hpotter@themiamihurricane.com.

Jessica Hodder

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...