COMIC CON makes its Miami debut

Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

A maze of booths and swarms of costumed fans occupied the Miami Airport Convention Center this weekend. Amid the professional wrestlers, remote-controlled R2-D2s and Renaissance crafters, the sense of unity was palpable- this was Comic Con.

Hundreds attended the first-ever Comic Con in Miami, organized by Wizard World. It was a prime venue for showcasing the viral comic culture. The new Miami comic convention focused on the sharing and distribution of creativity through comic books, graphic novels and pop culture. It is an event for publishers, dealers, exhibitors, creators and fans to share their interests and generally geek out.

The usual suspects were represented at the convention, including Marvel, DC and Dark Horse, but there were also underdog contenders present, such as the independent Hound Comics based out of New York. Hound Comics’ “Brimstone and the Borderhounds” panel featured the world premiere of its animated series, a counterpart to the comic.

In addition to the panels, guest celebrities, photo ops and truckloads of comicbook paraphernalia at the Miami Comic Con, there were also fan organizations present. Among them were R2 4Kids, an organization that gives back to the community through science fiction-related projects like recreating iconic staples such as the 1960s Batmobile and R2-D2 replicas.

Even if you aren’t currently mourning the death of Marvel’s Johnny Storm, “The Human Torch” of the Fantastic Four, Miami’s Comic Con was entertaining for all who love culture and the visual arts.

Jessica Hodder may be contacted at jhodder@themiamihurricane.com and Henry Potter may be contacted at hpotter@themiamihurricane.com.

Jessica Hodder

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...