COMIC CON makes its Miami debut

Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

A maze of booths and swarms of costumed fans occupied the Miami Airport Convention Center this weekend. Amid the professional wrestlers, remote-controlled R2-D2s and Renaissance crafters, the sense of unity was palpable- this was Comic Con.

Hundreds attended the first-ever Comic Con in Miami, organized by Wizard World. It was a prime venue for showcasing the viral comic culture. The new Miami comic convention focused on the sharing and distribution of creativity through comic books, graphic novels and pop culture. It is an event for publishers, dealers, exhibitors, creators and fans to share their interests and generally geek out.

The usual suspects were represented at the convention, including Marvel, DC and Dark Horse, but there were also underdog contenders present, such as the independent Hound Comics based out of New York. Hound Comics’ “Brimstone and the Borderhounds” panel featured the world premiere of its animated series, a counterpart to the comic.

In addition to the panels, guest celebrities, photo ops and truckloads of comicbook paraphernalia at the Miami Comic Con, there were also fan organizations present. Among them were R2 4Kids, an organization that gives back to the community through science fiction-related projects like recreating iconic staples such as the 1960s Batmobile and R2-D2 replicas.

Even if you aren’t currently mourning the death of Marvel’s Johnny Storm, “The Human Torch” of the Fantastic Four, Miami’s Comic Con was entertaining for all who love culture and the visual arts.

Jessica Hodder may be contacted at jhodder@themiamihurricane.com and Henry Potter may be contacted at hpotter@themiamihurricane.com.

Jessica Hodder

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami diving team enjoyed a strong first day of competition at the University of T ...

For the fourth time in eight months, Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team is taking part in a U. ...