Celebrities pitch in with Wish Upon a U

Kappa Kappa Gamma competes in the 2nd annual WishMaker's celebrity softball tournament on Saturday, February 26. Adrianne D'Angelo//Photo Editor

Celebrities and University of Miami organizations made wishes come true by playing softball on Saturday.

The University of Miami WishMakers, participating UM organizations and celebrities filled Ponce De Leon Middle School’s field for the final Wish Upon a U Week event, the Swing for the Wishes Celebrity Softball Tournament.

After a series of fundraising events, 12 of 18 teams made it out on the field that day, each accompanied by one celebrity figure to play softball.

UM President Donna E. Shalala threw out the first pitch of the game. Other celebrity participants included former Hurricane star and current Minnesota Vikings player Bryant McKinnie, Atlanta Falcons defensive lineman Jamal Anderson, Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely, Miami Dolphins Pro Bowl long snapper John Denney, Miami Dolphins kicker Brandon Fields and Indianapolis Colts Najeh Davenport, also a former Hurricane.

“We all get to have fun on a great day in support of a good cause. It’s great to be here,” Fields said.

During Wish Upon a U Week, teams were encouraged to attend a fashion show, take pictures for a photo contest, make banners, dine at Taco Rico and purchase Wayfarer Sunglasses. Registered teams were allotted points based on attendance and participation in these activities, as well as for funds raised.

All proceeds were donated to Make-A-Wish, a national foundation that grants wishes to children suffering from life-threatening diseases.

“It’s great that everyone attended, that the celebrities could make it over here to play with the teams,” said Jonathan Schrader, founder and president of UM WishMakers. “Seeing everyone having a good time is rewarding.”

The winner of this year’s Swing for the Wishes Celebrity Softball Tournament was Phi Delta Theta.

UM Wishmakers’ next celebrity event, the “When the Stars Align” concert, is tentatively scheduled for May 6. Members are working on gathering today’s top artists to perform at the BankUnited Center.

Proceeds from ticket sales will also be donated to the Make-A-Wish foundation and Children’s Miracle Network.
“We want to make it as big as Y100’s Jingle Ball,” Schrader said.

Kattie Maldonado may be contacted at kmaldonado@themiamihurricane.com.

Kattie Maldonado

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...