Bike ride brings back memories

Steven Levy//The Miami Hurricane

Early Saturday morning, dozens of people gathered in the University of Miami School of Law courtyard, bikes and helmets in hand, ready to ride in honor of a former student who died in 2010.

The memorial, titled Natasha’s Ride, was held in honor of third-year law student Natasha Pettigrew, who was struck and killed by a car last September while on her bike training for a triathlon. Pettigrew had taken a leave of absence to run as a senatorial candidate in Maryland with the Maryland Green Party.

The event was held in conjunction with the South Florida Bike Coalition, the Black Law Students Association, the Children Youth and Law Clinic, OUTLaw and the HOPE Public Interest Resource Center.

“Since bike safety and being healthy and in shape was really important to her, in her celebration of her life she would want people to be out doing the things she loved to do,” said Lauren Ferguson, a friend of Pettigrew’s. “She was all of our good friend; it’s tough losing someone who’s so young.”

Natasha’s Ride lasted 45 minutes and took bikers through downtown Miami, Vizcaya, the Grove, Coral Gables and in front of Pettigrew’s house, reflecting her own daily ride to campus. About 45 people participated in the event.

“Everyone who wanted to come out and ride was able to participate,” said Brian Sperger, another friend of Pettigrew’s and the main organizer of the ride.
A fund was created in Pettigrew’s honor and riders were asked to make donations. All donations will go to bike safety programs throughout Miami-Dade County.

Kennis Henry, Pettigrew’s mother, flew down from Maryland to attend the memorial event.

“Natasha is somewhere looking down right now with so much joy and a great big smile,” Henry said.

Henry is currently campaigning for a bill in Maryland to protect bicyclists and impose stricter penalties for drivers who injure them. She recently started a petition on change.org and currently has 4,500 signatures.

“[Natasha’s] big concern was road safety,” Henry said. “Drivers think the roads belong to them but their inability to share just shows total ignorance and a lot of selfishness on the drivers’ part.”

Ferguson, along with many others, hopes to see Natasha’s Ride become an annual event.

“Natasha made such a great impact on this university and the Miami community, so I think it’s really important that we continue to honor her legacy here,” she said.

Miranda Coleman may be contacted at mcoleman@themiamihurricane.com.

Miranda Coleman

Contributing news writer

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...