We’re too smug for our own good

Complacency has run rampant. If you’re in Greek life, nearly every piece of clothing you wear is of your organization. You immerse yourself in collectivism and lose the personal touch.

No longer are you John Doe, but rather, a prestigious Chi Omega Kappa. If someone else isn’t, they aren’t worthy of your recognition, even in passing. You are the elite, but the barrier to entry wasn’t that high, provided you were ready to brown nose at the smoker’s events and sign a check over.

If you won Anchor Splash, you’ll be bragging about it behind an anonymous mask on collegeabc.com but I still don’t know what this entails aside from dancing in a pool.

If you answer a question correctly in class, you smirk and bask in the intellectual glory, feeling like you’ve cured cancer or solved complex mathematical problems similar to the efforts of Albert Einstein.

If you’ve gotten an article published in The Miami Hurricane, the New York Post of student news, you decide your prose is as dense as that of JD Salinger. Or if you have a muscular body, you’ll wear as little as possible to prove to other gym-goers that each one of your biceps is in fact larger than your head. OK, granted not everybody is as cocky as this, but it’s pretty overwhelming these days.

Also, did you just achieve something outside of the college bubble and aren’t sure where to boast it to the world? Sure you do. You sprint to your Facebook to keep people ‘posted’ within minutes or even seconds of hearing about some kind of good news to make others abundantly aware, sometimes repeatedly, of how successful you are, but if you ever screw up or are at fault, you’ll never hone up.

What ever happened to modesty and revealing less to the masses than one’s actually made of? I’m not Buddha here either, but there’s a level some people exceed that’s nauseating.

Be loud, be proud, but also know when to just keep your mouth shut and admit you’re just a human being. But for all I care, tweet every time you have a bowel movement. Just remember if it’s only recognition you seek from this life, especially in Miami where half of the praise isn’t genuine and the other half is never put forth, you’re in for one hell of a bumpy ride.

Evan Seaman is a senior majoring in marketing. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

17 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “We’re too smug for our own good”

1. Fratty Light says:

Go play frisbee or something and stop wasting our time you GDI

2. Andrew Thomas Dymburt says:

Well well well, looks like our fellow Hurricane “writer” is at it again. I use the term “writer” loosely because once more you have proven that journalistic integrity does not apply to you. You have written yet another poor article that almost put me to sleep. You let your bitterness get the best of you (again) and decided that you will take advantage of the little power you have in this world and write this garbage. Take advantage of your situation with the Hurricane, because unlike me (a smug, proud Phi Delta Theta) your career in journalism is limited to the Miami Hurricane. It sounds to me like that cute girl in class talked to the guy that was wearing letters and it really irritated you, so you had to vent somewhere. The part of your literary genius that I can’t seem to wrap my head around is, DIDN’T YOU TRY AND JOIN A FRATERNITY?

3. Fratrick says:

The article seems written just to aggravate the greek population. People have retorted with the same comment over and over again:

Get a life.

I suggest something new, but not that far off base:

Get a friend.

Maybe that will help you vent some of your issues about never really ‘fitting’ in and having to find excuses to back up why this happened to you. Just befriend one person instead annoying all of the Greeks at the U.

4. Wyatt says:

This article has no base, no actual facts, and could not be farther from the truth. You’re mocking us for participating in philanthropies that raise a significant amount of money for numerous charities, and say we are being “smug” for this. You also act like fraternities are only “boys clubs” which couldn’t be farther from the truth. Pledging was a process that made us better people and gave us motivation to succeed in other parts of our lives. Being Brothers has also strengthened our sense of duty, our social skills, and organizational abilities to better prepare us for life. It’s not just a handshake and a check. Please actually talk to someone in Greek life before you make such ludicrous assumptions. This may be an opinion article, but you’re just senselessly ranting. Sorry you didn’t get a bid, Geed.

5. John says:

I have never read something so pathetic in my entire life. Guess what Seaman? I’m extremely smug, and I’m laughing at your poor excuse of an existence as I write this. In fact, I pity you. I feel sorry for people like you. In your response to “the mayor” (who is a prominent member of the University of Miami family, learn before you type) you state that Greek patrons, such as myself, only participate in Anchor Splash over standing in front of Publix for the Salvation Army because it is more fun? YES. Why not raise money for a good cause while at the same time having fun with your friends? Is that too smug for you to handle? And also, please get back to me when you find a Salvation Army attendant at Publix who raises over $100,000 a year for their charity. That is the combined sum that the Greek organizations on campus have raised in the past. The fact is, you are insecure, and when you see people (who ARE most likely better than you) walking around campus, or in class, you feel inferior I’m not surprised that you feel this way. And if you are so upset at how people handle themselves when they get a question right in class, why don’t you start answering some correctly yourself, you GDI. In the end, you are just one of those people who can’t handle the truth about themselves.
    Sincerely,
    Your future employer,

John.

6. fratstar1848 says:

Thanks for the COK and SMD references. Instead of resorting to insults, like you, i have decided to take you up on your offer and write a response to your article.

It is called “Seaman: Stain On the Underpants of Greek Life”

let me know if you would like me to email it to you.

7. If some authors are capable of describing certain complex feelings and thoughts, as well as graphically detailed settings, tones, and themes, etc… then why is it so difficult for people to elaborate on how Greek Life is “more than just _____” and “you have no idea.” I’ve felt like I’ve been places and experienced things I never have ‘in real life’ a result of some authors’ ability to articulate the most brilliant of thoughts. So: enlighten my eager ears.
    But you’re also missing the mark. This isn’t an attack on all of Greek life. Just certain individuals who are arrogant and are Greek, too. I also list plenty of other cocky people I take issue with. Why is it every time something Greek comes up, the ‘community’ feels threatened and has to email me to coerce me into their way of thought? I think the way I do and you think the way you do. That’s fine.
    I’m just curious why of all these groups, it’s usually the Greeks. However …. why haven’t I gotten a flood of emails from anyone else whom I’ve ever referenced in my articles?
    Maybe I should rush so you guys will allow me to see your perspective and zen lifestyle. Wait… what? You wouldn’t look favorably upon that? Well neither would I, I’m just proving a point.
    Now how am I supposed to REALLY know what goes on behind those mysterious closed doors in the suite area, next to the equally enigmatic ‘picnic tables-LC-candybar machine conglomerate’ area?
    The curiosity is nearly killing me.

8. If some authors are capable of describing certain complex feelings and thoughts, as well as graphically detailed settings, tones, and themes, etc… then why is it so difficult for people to elaborate on how Greek Life is “more than just _____” and “you have no idea.” I’ve felt like I’ve been places and experienced things I never have ‘in real life’ a result of some authors’ ability to articulate the most brilliant of thoughts. So: enlighten my eager ears.

The curiosity is nearly killing me.

9. Chad says:

You have no idea why people chose the fraternity or sorority that they did. Greek Life is more than a handshake and a check.

10. Matty says:

Haha i think most people know who “The Mayor” is buddy. Get a life

11. Goths call us conformists. Hipsters call us mainstream. PETA calls us cruel. Environmentalists call us close-minded. Feminists call us womanizers. Socialists call us greedy. Liberals call us ignorant. But despite all this, society calls us successful. Proud to be a Greek.

12. I don’t normally respond to these, but I’ll give it a shot. Also, I’ve already accepted you hate me and what I write, and that is fair. This is more because it seems like fun to post on this article haha. Don’t think I think I’m about to change your mind or somehow make you side with my opinion. But that’s what opinions are for, eh? Cheers, here goes:

-if you’re in Greek life and not a douchebag, hats off to you. There are some of you that exist out there, I will admit without hesitating and I have a few friends in Greek life (admitedly not a lot though) and they’re genuine people. Not because they’re greek or they’re not, just because that’s who they are. If you feel an heir of superiority by being one of these people who looks down on others, and even others who are in other fraternities (in the form of spineless CollegeACB dribble), then you’re ‘smug’.

Now, no more Greek banter because that’s only a small portion of what I wrote.

If you are a regular participant in class and answers questions, but without S’ing your own D and acting condescendingly towards others, you aren’t ‘smug’.

If you wear a rag to cover up your manboobies, in your head you think you’re a god and project that way to others. But you’re ‘smug’ when in reality, you look stupid for having larger arms than a head, which I’ve been told carries a brain.

If you write and get your stuff published somewhere but do it as a hobby and don’t think you’re stuff is the best since sliced bread, then you’re also probably not ‘smug.’

I can’t believe I had to break down what I thought was already a short, simple, and to-the-point article. Anyways…

Also with Anchor Splash, you mentioned, quite eloquently, “they raises money for a great cause.” So does standing outside of a grocery store trying to get Salvation Army donations but I don’t see you guys doing that — because it’s not fun. But you do Anchor Splash because of the babes and man dancing, don’t kid yourself saying you love it strictly for the cause (or appear to come across that way). You didn’t join a frat for the good of mankind, you joined to indulge. There’s no harm in admitting you like doing things for yourself, as do I. But now you’re the do gooder and I’m the evil, non-contributor to society. interesting. Haha.

Also, hiding behind an anonymous mask as I said before is weak sauce. That makes you smug. As a result of my horrendously miscalculated article, You can either:

suck it up (the publication of my article)
    -or-
    write one of your own, combating my ‘alleged misconceptions’ with the ‘unequivocal truth’. Also, know that with this, you have to stand behind your name on and your own two feet in the public’s eye. Not just from behind a computer screen, being known as the Mayor.

13. The Mayor says:

Still bitter at the greeks? You sound more ignorant and asinine with each opinion you write. If you don’t know what Anchor Splash is, you should definitely learn before you poke jokes at and try to insult. It is a lot more than dancing in a pool and they raises money for a great cause. There’s also a good chance you wrote this just to get a rise out of people, considering how well-received your last piece of poorly written garbage was. So clap clap to you, you once again command zero respect and are a waste of time, life, space, flesh, and words. Please graduate, transfer, or at least have some fact based opinions.

14. Nice little rant there. I just have one question… Does any of this matter? The answer is no. I’m all for people expressing themselves, but you led with a rant which transitioned into advice from someone that doesn’t have the life experience to know what the real world is like. I honestly don’t know what you hoped to accomplish with this, but you failed.

Also, I’m kind of surprised that half of this column is once again about greek life after that dude ripped you with his letter to the editor. Sounds like you have a grudge against fraternities, but I’d suggest getting over it, lest I remind you about how foolish you looked last time you cracked on those greeks.

http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2010/11/03/letter-to-the-editor-121/

So, J.D. Salinger, make sure you aren’t bragging about this one, just because it got published in the Hurricane; it’s not very good.

15. Hunter says:

You sound pretty smug yourself seeing how you know what everyone is doing. Maybe next time you should write an article that doesn’t insult the student population.

16. We get it. You hate greek life. Find a new tact.
    I am tired of your nearly semiannual rants against Fraternities and Sororities, and your articles are often nothing more than petty generalities about college students in general.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...