Dance mayhem in Miami

UF’s Gator Raas dance team performs at Miami Mayhem in 2009 for a sold-out crowd on Miami Beach. Gator Raas finished third.Courtesy David Goldberg.

This Saturday the Indian Students Association (ISA) is bringing mayhem to Miami Beach.

Coming off a victory at a recent dance competition in Texas, ISA will host the fourth annual Miami Mayhem dance event, Saturday at the Julius Litman Performing Arts Center on North Miami Beach.

The competition will include eight Raas dance teams from universities from around the country.

Raas originated in west India in honor of Amba, a  fearless 10-armed goddess. Eighteen-inch sticks, called dandiyas are used to portray a battle between Amba and the demon king Mahisura.

The top three teams in the competition will receive bid points that will put them in the running to compete for the title of national champions at the third annual All-Stars National Championships in Dallas, Texas.

Hosting Miami Mayhem is a full time job for Sawpnil Patel, ISA president and executive chair of Miami Mayhem.

“It’s pretty much going to be the last thing I do as a senior,” he said.

The 16 members of Swaggeraas, the University of Miami’s Raas team, will perform in an exhibition after competitors complete their routines.

According to Patel, their organization has been working hard to put on a good show.

“We made a point to make our choreography really intricate,” he said. “We didn’t stop thinking of ideas until we were very happy.”

Dancing is important to ISA students, who spend a lot of time together. Winning is just a bonus for students like senior Priya Panara, who appreciates the bonding associated with being on a team that works to “achieve the same goal.”

Beyond putting on an Indian dance show,  Miami Mayhem will also donate proceeds to Miami Children’s Hospital to support the purchase of medical equipment and provide support for doctors, nurses and children.

“Miami Children Hospital Foundation is incredibly grateful to students of the University of Miami,” said Jeremy Katzman, spokesman for MCHF.

Chloe Herring may be contacted at cherring@themiamihurricane.com.

Chloe Herring

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...