Tuesdays with Toppel

Once a month, the Toppel Career Center offers alumni, and occasionally seniors, the opportunity to do some career networking in a unique setting — while  enjoying their favorite cocktail and a nice meal.

The Tuesdays With Toppel program began in 2009 after the economic downturn hit the country.

“We got the idea from an event that took place in New York City and LA [called the Pink Slip Party]because of the dot-com bust in the early 2000s,” said Edward Cruz, assistant director of graduate student and alumni programs at Toppel. “So we were inspired by that idea and made it work for our students and alumni.”

The cost of the event is $10 per person and it is usually hosted at restaurants in Coral Gables and Miami.

“It’s a really unique, creative thing UM has done and I have not seen anything like it,” said FBI Recruiter Kathleen Cymbaluk, who has participated in the event. “It is a fun, carefree environment, which gives the recruiter a unique way to interact that you don’t really get in the other universities.”

About 15 different companies are represented each month at Tuesdays with Toppel.

“The first Tuesdays with Toppel was held at Red Koi Thai & Sushi Lounge [on Miracle Mile], and we had over 50 people attend including alumni and employers,” Cruz said

The event is typically aimed at alumni, but a month before graduation an email invitation is sent out for all the graduating seniors to attend.

“We do invite students the months leading up to graduation, so students that were graduating in fall were invited to attend the November event and students that are graduating in the spring will be invited to the April event,” said Veronica Soto, assistant director of career events at Toppel.

Even after students graduate, Toppel still offers advising and free entrance to all the career fairs on campus.

“Alumni are always invited to any of our career-oriented programs that we have and advising is free for alumni after one year and after that there is a small fee,” Soto said. “We are still here for our alumni after they graduate.”

The next Tuesdays with Toppel will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. this Tuesday, Feb. 22, at the Boiler House,  97 SW Eighth St. To attend, alumni can RSVP through your CaneZone account at www.hireacane.com. For more information about the program, stop by Toppel in the Whitten University Center.

Elizabeth Nickerson may be contacted at enickerson@themiamihurricane.com.

Elizabeth Nickerson

Contributing News Editor

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...