Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 2/21

Swimming and diving

The Hurricanes competed in the ACC Championships this weekend at Georgia Tech. Sofia Johansson won the first-ever individual ACC swimming title by a Hurricane, finishing the 100-yard breaststroke in a school record time of 1:00.85. Annika Saarnak finished second in the 100 butterfly, with several other Canes posting qualifying times in their respective races. In diving, Carrie Dragland won second place on the three-meter springboard, with teammate Lindsay Lester taking fifth.

Women’s basketball

Shenise Johnson led the Canes to a 90-80 win over Boston College on Thursday night. Johnson scored a total of 30 points, with Riquna Williams scoring 23 of her 25 points in the second half. With this win, the Hurricanes move to 23-3 overall this season.

Track and field

The United States Olympic Committee has announced that University of Miami Director of Track and Field Amy Deem has been named head coach of the women’s USA Track and Field squad for the 2010 Olympic games in London. Stay tuned for Thursday’s issue of The Miami Hurricane for further details regarding Coach Deem’s selection.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...