Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: This is Our Moment

We have all heard the climate change experts – Miami will be one of the first U.S. cities in trouble if we don’t change our energy habits. Yet when we look around our campus we can’t help but notice that we could be doing so much more.

We all love our beautiful Miami sunshine – solar energy just makes sense. And then there is the thousands of dollars we spend dumping our leftover dining hall food in the trash.

If we brought composting to campus we could save energy on fertilizer and possibly even harness the methane gas produced to power the residential dining halls. If passed, the Green Initiatives Referendum will raise $100,000 dollars annually to pilot green initiatives on campus. The $5 dollar investment in our Student Activities fee each semester is a small price to pay individually considering that money will generate hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings later. Given our location, it only makes sense that the UM student body come together and lead the green movement for sustainability nationally. Go vote in the UC Breezeway this Mon. – Wed. from 10am to 4pm or in the residential halls Mon- Tues. from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. – and tell your friends! To support the green initiative referendum join the “Vote Green at UM” Facebook event.

Stephanie Sandhu is a senior majoring in Neurobiology and Women’s Studies English Literature.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: This is Our Moment”

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...