Hurricane Bookshelf: Jersey Shore to royalty

Are you bored during the down time you have before midterms? If you’re taking a break from binge drinking or endless tanning, try checking out one of these books.

“A Shore Thing” (Nicole Polizzi; Gallery):

Yes, you read correctly- I’m suggesting the first literary masterpiece by the resident meatball of “Jersey Shore,” Snooki herself. Whether you proudly love the show or consider it the guiltiest of pleasures, you know you’re at least a little curious about her semi-autobiographical novel set- you guessed it- in Seaside Heights. No one will judge you too much if you’re caught reading it, but you might want to hide it behind that textbook you’re ignoring.

“Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture” (Peggy Orenstein; Harper):

To expand on the theme of reality show-related books, here is a non-fiction book that might appeal to fans of “Toddlers and Tiaras.” The author explores the hyper-feminization of young girls by visiting Disneyland, American Girl Place and a Miley Cyrus concert. What she finds is disturbing to those of us who survived our dreams of being a Disney princess.

“The King’s Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy” (Mark Logue; Peter Conradi; Sterling):

Released just before the titular film (which, by the way, is stellar), “The King’s Speech” examines the relationship between King George VI, who had a debilitating stammer, and his rather unorthodox speech therapist, Lionel Logue. Read it before the movie wins a few Oscars; you’ll seem all the more cultured for it.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at spilchick@themiamihurricane.com

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an offic ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...