Hurricane Bookshelf: Jersey Shore to royalty

Are you bored during the down time you have before midterms? If you’re taking a break from binge drinking or endless tanning, try checking out one of these books.

“A Shore Thing” (Nicole Polizzi; Gallery):

Yes, you read correctly- I’m suggesting the first literary masterpiece by the resident meatball of “Jersey Shore,” Snooki herself. Whether you proudly love the show or consider it the guiltiest of pleasures, you know you’re at least a little curious about her semi-autobiographical novel set- you guessed it- in Seaside Heights. No one will judge you too much if you’re caught reading it, but you might want to hide it behind that textbook you’re ignoring.

“Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture” (Peggy Orenstein; Harper):

To expand on the theme of reality show-related books, here is a non-fiction book that might appeal to fans of “Toddlers and Tiaras.” The author explores the hyper-feminization of young girls by visiting Disneyland, American Girl Place and a Miley Cyrus concert. What she finds is disturbing to those of us who survived our dreams of being a Disney princess.

“The King’s Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy” (Mark Logue; Peter Conradi; Sterling):

Released just before the titular film (which, by the way, is stellar), “The King’s Speech” examines the relationship between King George VI, who had a debilitating stammer, and his rather unorthodox speech therapist, Lionel Logue. Read it before the movie wins a few Oscars; you’ll seem all the more cultured for it.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at spilchick@themiamihurricane.com

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...