Hurricane Bookshelf: Jersey Shore to royalty

Are you bored during the down time you have before midterms? If you’re taking a break from binge drinking or endless tanning, try checking out one of these books.

“A Shore Thing” (Nicole Polizzi; Gallery):

Yes, you read correctly- I’m suggesting the first literary masterpiece by the resident meatball of “Jersey Shore,” Snooki herself. Whether you proudly love the show or consider it the guiltiest of pleasures, you know you’re at least a little curious about her semi-autobiographical novel set- you guessed it- in Seaside Heights. No one will judge you too much if you’re caught reading it, but you might want to hide it behind that textbook you’re ignoring.

“Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture” (Peggy Orenstein; Harper):

To expand on the theme of reality show-related books, here is a non-fiction book that might appeal to fans of “Toddlers and Tiaras.” The author explores the hyper-feminization of young girls by visiting Disneyland, American Girl Place and a Miley Cyrus concert. What she finds is disturbing to those of us who survived our dreams of being a Disney princess.

“The King’s Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy” (Mark Logue; Peter Conradi; Sterling):

Released just before the titular film (which, by the way, is stellar), “The King’s Speech” examines the relationship between King George VI, who had a debilitating stammer, and his rather unorthodox speech therapist, Lionel Logue. Read it before the movie wins a few Oscars; you’ll seem all the more cultured for it.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at spilchick@themiamihurricane.com

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer