Baseball, Sports

Baseball matchup against Rutgers Scarlett Knights

Intangibles: Miami

In the 2010 season, the Canes swept the Scarlet Knights in the first series of the season, scorings at least nine runs per game. Miami definitely has the advantage of recent history and momentum.

Pitching: Miami

In 2010, Miami’s average ERA was 3.68, while Rutgers’ was 5.90. The Hurricanes have lost all of last season’s weekend starters, but there is tons of potential in relievers-turned-starters E.J. Encinosa and Eric Whaley, as well as Friday night’s starting pitcher, true freshman Bryan Radziewski. Radziewski has impressed head coach Jim Morris all offseason.

Outfield: Miami

Miami’s outfield is led by Zeke DeVoss and Nathan Melendres, both of whom have outstanding batting averages and fielding percentages. Chris Palaez is another strong performer for the Canes. However, Rutgers holds their own with Brandon Boykin and Michael Lang, who are equally as effective in their respective positions. Scarlet Knights outfielder Ryan Kapp was named to the pre-season All Big East team. The loss of Chris Palaez will hurt the Canes however.

Infield: Miami

Rutgers shortstop Steve Nyisztor was a member of the preseason All Big East team, and finished the 2010 season with a .410 batting average. Miami boasts sluggers Harold Martinez and Michael Broad, and overall should be more capable.

Catcher: Even

With the loss of Yasmani Grandal, the Hurricanes are relying on David Villaluso to step up. He’s been a strong performer in the past and should be able to lead the two new freshman catchers. For Rutgers, Jeff Melillo has been extremely solid behind the plate, leaving the teams looking just about even.

Bullpen: Miami

The Miami bullpen was shaky at times during the 2010 season, but retains some of its strongest pitchers. Tyler Gebler is the main threat for the Scarlett Knights, but with Daniel Miranda remaining in the closer role, the Canes should have the advantage there.

Darci Miller may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...