Baseball, Sports

Baseball matchup against Rutgers Scarlett Knights

Intangibles: Miami

In the 2010 season, the Canes swept the Scarlet Knights in the first series of the season, scorings at least nine runs per game. Miami definitely has the advantage of recent history and momentum.

Pitching: Miami

In 2010, Miami’s average ERA was 3.68, while Rutgers’ was 5.90. The Hurricanes have lost all of last season’s weekend starters, but there is tons of potential in relievers-turned-starters E.J. Encinosa and Eric Whaley, as well as Friday night’s starting pitcher, true freshman Bryan Radziewski. Radziewski has impressed head coach Jim Morris all offseason.

Outfield: Miami

Miami’s outfield is led by Zeke DeVoss and Nathan Melendres, both of whom have outstanding batting averages and fielding percentages. Chris Palaez is another strong performer for the Canes. However, Rutgers holds their own with Brandon Boykin and Michael Lang, who are equally as effective in their respective positions. Scarlet Knights outfielder Ryan Kapp was named to the pre-season All Big East team. The loss of Chris Palaez will hurt the Canes however.

Infield: Miami

Rutgers shortstop Steve Nyisztor was a member of the preseason All Big East team, and finished the 2010 season with a .410 batting average. Miami boasts sluggers Harold Martinez and Michael Broad, and overall should be more capable.

Catcher: Even

With the loss of Yasmani Grandal, the Hurricanes are relying on David Villaluso to step up. He’s been a strong performer in the past and should be able to lead the two new freshman catchers. For Rutgers, Jeff Melillo has been extremely solid behind the plate, leaving the teams looking just about even.

Bullpen: Miami

The Miami bullpen was shaky at times during the 2010 season, but retains some of its strongest pitchers. Tyler Gebler is the main threat for the Scarlett Knights, but with Daniel Miranda remaining in the closer role, the Canes should have the advantage there.

Darci Miller may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...