Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Aikido Club’s 25-year celebration is a hit

It is Monday night in a large, mat-covered, mirrored room at the UM Wellness Center. Bodies are flying through the air in all directions to the rhythmic sound of Japanese commands.

What is this place? It is the Aikido club’s dojo.

“Aikido has changed my life,” said sensei Cat Fitzgerald. It teaches us to put our words and actions in harmony and can be used in real life 100% of the time. It creates a win-win situation to become a holistic person.

Fitzgerald graduated from UM with a B.A. in Anthropology and Dance. He has an impressive background in various martial arts such as Aikido, Shotokan, and Taekwondo, Judo, Kali, Silat, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, and Muay Thai Kickboxing. He has even trained Olympic athletes, FBI members and various other organizations.

“Aikido is a martial art from Japan that teaches conflict reconciliation. It is more than just a set of techniques, it is a philosophy that helps a person developed holistically,” said assistant instructor Tim Keogh. He himself is a second degree black belt.

Training in Aikido involves both physical and mental aspects. Physical training covers both and conditioning and specific techniques. Throws are a big part of Aikido, so the first thing most students learn is how to fall and roll safely. Attacking techniques include strikes and grabs and defense techniques consist of throws and pins.

“It is about solving conflict in a non-violent way,” Nick Caron said. Caron is a freshman who is part of the Aikido club since last fall.

The Aikido club is celebrating their 25th year anniversary as a club sport in the University of Miami. Their lead instructor, Fitzgerald, has been part of the Aikido club from the very beginning.

The Aikido club has currently around 30 members. They are like big family who all share their love for this art form. The Aikido club was one of the three dojos in Florida and one out of the 20 dojos in the whole United States to be part of the international peace movement.

This year the Aikido club has many seminars and activities planned for UM students and the South Florida residents alike to celebrate their 25th anniversary.

Fitzgerald and the rest of the Aikido club meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00 to 11:00 PM and Sundays from 5:00-6:40 PM and dues for $70 for a year.  Newcomers are always welcome in the dojo and experience is not necessary.

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Aikido Club’s 25-year celebration is a hit”

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...