Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Aikido Club’s 25-year celebration is a hit

It is Monday night in a large, mat-covered, mirrored room at the UM Wellness Center. Bodies are flying through the air in all directions to the rhythmic sound of Japanese commands.

What is this place? It is the Aikido club’s dojo.

“Aikido has changed my life,” said sensei Cat Fitzgerald. It teaches us to put our words and actions in harmony and can be used in real life 100% of the time. It creates a win-win situation to become a holistic person.

Fitzgerald graduated from UM with a B.A. in Anthropology and Dance. He has an impressive background in various martial arts such as Aikido, Shotokan, and Taekwondo, Judo, Kali, Silat, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, and Muay Thai Kickboxing. He has even trained Olympic athletes, FBI members and various other organizations.

“Aikido is a martial art from Japan that teaches conflict reconciliation. It is more than just a set of techniques, it is a philosophy that helps a person developed holistically,” said assistant instructor Tim Keogh. He himself is a second degree black belt.

Training in Aikido involves both physical and mental aspects. Physical training covers both and conditioning and specific techniques. Throws are a big part of Aikido, so the first thing most students learn is how to fall and roll safely. Attacking techniques include strikes and grabs and defense techniques consist of throws and pins.

“It is about solving conflict in a non-violent way,” Nick Caron said. Caron is a freshman who is part of the Aikido club since last fall.

The Aikido club is celebrating their 25th year anniversary as a club sport in the University of Miami. Their lead instructor, Fitzgerald, has been part of the Aikido club from the very beginning.

The Aikido club has currently around 30 members. They are like big family who all share their love for this art form. The Aikido club was one of the three dojos in Florida and one out of the 20 dojos in the whole United States to be part of the international peace movement.

This year the Aikido club has many seminars and activities planned for UM students and the South Florida residents alike to celebrate their 25th anniversary.

Fitzgerald and the rest of the Aikido club meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00 to 11:00 PM and Sundays from 5:00-6:40 PM and dues for $70 for a year.  Newcomers are always welcome in the dojo and experience is not necessary.

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Aikido Club’s 25-year celebration is a hit”

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...