Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Aikido Club’s 25-year celebration is a hit

It is Monday night in a large, mat-covered, mirrored room at the UM Wellness Center. Bodies are flying through the air in all directions to the rhythmic sound of Japanese commands.

What is this place? It is the Aikido club’s dojo.

“Aikido has changed my life,” said sensei Cat Fitzgerald. It teaches us to put our words and actions in harmony and can be used in real life 100% of the time. It creates a win-win situation to become a holistic person.

Fitzgerald graduated from UM with a B.A. in Anthropology and Dance. He has an impressive background in various martial arts such as Aikido, Shotokan, and Taekwondo, Judo, Kali, Silat, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, and Muay Thai Kickboxing. He has even trained Olympic athletes, FBI members and various other organizations.

“Aikido is a martial art from Japan that teaches conflict reconciliation. It is more than just a set of techniques, it is a philosophy that helps a person developed holistically,” said assistant instructor Tim Keogh. He himself is a second degree black belt.

Training in Aikido involves both physical and mental aspects. Physical training covers both and conditioning and specific techniques. Throws are a big part of Aikido, so the first thing most students learn is how to fall and roll safely. Attacking techniques include strikes and grabs and defense techniques consist of throws and pins.

“It is about solving conflict in a non-violent way,” Nick Caron said. Caron is a freshman who is part of the Aikido club since last fall.

The Aikido club is celebrating their 25th year anniversary as a club sport in the University of Miami. Their lead instructor, Fitzgerald, has been part of the Aikido club from the very beginning.

The Aikido club has currently around 30 members. They are like big family who all share their love for this art form. The Aikido club was one of the three dojos in Florida and one out of the 20 dojos in the whole United States to be part of the international peace movement.

This year the Aikido club has many seminars and activities planned for UM students and the South Florida residents alike to celebrate their 25th anniversary.

Fitzgerald and the rest of the Aikido club meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00 to 11:00 PM and Sundays from 5:00-6:40 PM and dues for $70 for a year.  Newcomers are always welcome in the dojo and experience is not necessary.

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Aikido Club’s 25-year celebration is a hit”

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...