Basketball, Sports

Win against Spartans may spark Canes

Miami beat Wake Forest 74-73 on Feb. 9 in Winston-Salem, N.C., the team's first win in the Joel Colliseum. Malcom Grant scored 10 points, bringing his double-digit scoring streak to seven. Courtesy John Turner//Old Gold and Black

Coming off a tough loss, the Miami Hurricanes needed a breather from Atlantic Coast Conference games, so North Carolina-Greensboro was just the right victim.

With four players scoring double-digit points, the Hurricanes easily defeated the Spartans 78-58 at the Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina.

The Canes have won four of their last five games.

This was the Hurricanes’ (16-10,4-7) second road victory this season outside the state of Florida, as both wins came in a seven-day span in North Carolina.

The Hurricanes finished with 12 3-pointers, one shy of a season best, and shot 44 percent from the floor.

Sophomore guard Durand Scott had his first career double-double with 12 points and a career-high 12 rebounds. Sophomore forward Garrius Adams and redshirt junior Malcolm Grant had 16 points apiece.

Miami was rebounding from their 10-point loss to No. 5 Duke Sunday night.

“We needed to get back on a winning track, and it was kind of  neat to play as quick as we did,” head coach Frank Haith said. “I thought about us getting off to a slow start, which we did, but it was all about our shooting and I really thought our defense wasn’t what it needed to be, too. We picked up our defense in the second half and ran more.”

Redshirt senior Adrian Thomas scored 18 points and tied a career-high with six 3-pointers. Thomas moved into fifth place on UM’s all-time 3-pointer list with 177, passing Guillermo Diaz.

“As long as I’m in the record book for something, that’s pretty good,” Thomas said.

Thomas and the Hurricanes now must keep a hot shooting hand in Greensboro Coliseum when they return for the ACC Tournament on March 10. A year ago, Miami made it to the semifinals and lost to the eventual ACC and National Champion Duke Blue Devils, 77-74. In that game, the Canes lead at halftime and Scott finished with 21 points.

First, the Hurricanes will return home to face Clemson on Sunday. Miami has two home games remaining and three road games, all of which are ACC contests.

The Canes are battle-tested this season and now they just have to close out games. Four of the teams Miami will face are ahead of the Canes in the ACC standings. The Hurricanes will have plenty of opportunities to improve their 4-7 record in the ACC.

“We’ve got plenty of opportunities,” Haith said. “We have to stay together as a team.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

Contributing EDGE Writer